X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    The Mexican War
    No, hint, only Americans died, often considered one of the most embarrassing chapters for the US Army at least in so far as failing to win goes.

Comment

• Ahhh...now I think I know it. It involved a long journey.

But as I will be leaving in the AM for a 6 day battlefield tour and won't be on the WAB regularly I will leave it for someone else to solve.

And yes, it was a disgraceful affair.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Okay...the answer is the Nez Perce War. Been dormant for too long.

Anyone else want to take a stab at posting a question?
        Mark Twain

Comment

• I believe all of the answers I gave outweigh any possible advantages of an autoloader.

Comment

• I think you are responding to the wrong thread.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• I fought in the Imperial Japanese Army, the Red Army, and the Wehrmacht during World War II.

Who am I?
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Yang Kyong Jong . A Korean

Comment

• Correct. Conscripted by the Japanese into Kwantung Army in 1938, captured by the Soviets at Khalkhin Gol in 1939, pressed into the Red Army in 1942, captured by the Germans at the 3rd Battle Kharkov in 1943, pressed into service in the Ostbattalione by the Germans, then captured by the 101st Airborne Division in the Normandy Campaign in 1944.

After his release from being a prisoner of war, lived out the rest of his life in Illinois.

You're up Gunny.

Comment

• The first 2 Americans to be awarded the Croix de Guerre in WW1 came from this unit. The Germans nicknamed the unit "Hell Fighters"

Comment

• Second hint.

Their band was one of the most popular in Europe and is credited, by some, with introducing Jazz music to the continent.

Comment

• 369th Infantry, NYANG

Comment

• Correct. Or as the French called them "The men of bronze" The first African American Regiment to serve in the AEF. Assigned to the French because many white soldiers refused to serve with blacks in combat.

They never lost a man through capture, lost a trench or a foot of ground to the enemy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/369th_...United_States)

Your question

Comment

• One of it's officers was Hamilton Fish III, a real New York blueblood. He was awarded a Silver Star and Croix de Guerre for bravery. As a Congressman he was responsible for the legislation authorizing the Unknown Soldier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Fish_III
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• These two guns were both called door knockers by their crews. One because all it could do was rap on the door, the other because it could blow it wide open.

Comment

• Pak 36 is the first one. The only other thing I can think of that blows a tank wide open that approximates door knocker (Heeresanklopfgerat) auf Deustch is the Panzerfaust (armor fist), as a fist is the shape of a knocking hand. But that's not a gun, unless you mean the Pak 40.

Comment

Working...
                                X