Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like I said, not really my area of expertise. Ask me how to boresight a tank, though, and I'm your man
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• I'll give it 12 hours until I concede.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        Like I said, not really my area of expertise. Ask me how to boresight a tank, though, and I'm your man
        Can you explain how to do it using three standard methods?

Using a "Boresight Board"

Using a DAP?

Using Standard Angle?

Or do tankers only check Boresight with an alignment device?

Only Officers have Headspace and Timing gauges?

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          I'll give it 12 hours until I concede.
          He is a tanker. give him more time to think

Comment

• Gunny speaking from experience we are the last ones to be in possession of the HS&T gauges!
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Okay what I was looking for specifically was the first step when screwing the barrel into an M2HB .50 caliber machine. It involves setting the headspace. This is a basic Infantry skill in the US and has been widely used since 2001 by a lot more folks who have been using M2s.

If the headspace is not set properly, Mother Deuce IS NOT your friend. Hence the reference to the Head Space & Timing Gauge with its 2 guages 1 marked GO and 1 marked NO GO.

After you set the headspace you set the timing.

See all about at this link

http://www.pica.army.mil/picatinnypu.../m2-poster.pdf

The same steps with a different guage was used on the M1919 .30 caliber Browning MG.

Most new MG designs since about 1950 have had fixed headspace so this is not needed.

I would say it was Benny's but to punish the Israelis through him by only allowing officers to have the HS&T Guages :insane:.....

Open question!
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Gunny, we used a boresighting alignment device:

AR: I'm not the one who decided to only give it to the officers. When I was in the IDF I knew the gunner's job perfectly, the loader's job almost perfectly, and a large part of the TC's job. I knew how to load the main gun, how to load/operate the two FN MAG's we had on the tank, and the 60mm mortar.

My position demanded that I know how to aim and shoot, that's it. Add in the fact that all 3 years I was in, my tank had a .50 cal for a total of 3 weeks, and you begin to realize that the fact that I even knew taking it back 2 clicks was a part of setting up the .50 cal and was a precursor to the Go/No Go should be enough to absolve me of fault or blame....
                Attached Files
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Ben,

You must suffer for your Army's idiocy!

That said, I did declare an open thread!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Actually, officers had to sign for Go/No Gos, and they were just like any other weapon. If it was lost, you were going to jail. I think it's actually a good thing that the IDF gave officers yet one more opportunity for them to go to jail that they didn't give the enlisted folks.

I've got nothing now, maybe tomorrow I'll think of something

Comment

• REALLY!!!

Ours were kept in the BII bag with the asbestos gloves, cleaning kit, T&E mechanism, etc.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Yeah, I thought that was a little extreme, too; it's just a calibration tool, not an actual weapon. Plus, it goes to one of the oldest weapons in the inventory, not a bleeding-edge L/55 or anything!
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• As an enlisted man for 20+ years I can understand, and even applaud what the IDF does.

More than once I've worked with Officers that really needed their Head space checked. :Dancing-Banana:

Comment

• Hey Gunny.

GFY!
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              Hey Gunny.

GFY!
                              Come on AR. Admit it. You have worked with more than one officer like that

Comment

• Know some?!?! Hell, I WAS one from time to time!

And you do know GFY is a term of endearment to a Masshole, right?
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X