This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mako88sb View Post
    Stumbled across this a few months ago and thought it would make for a good question:

The Russians modified this popular type of lend-lease equipment in a pretty unique way(as far as I know). What equipment and what was the modification?
    British Valentine modified with the Russian 76.2 AT gun? OR the Harley modified with the Mortar platform? That's all I got.
    Last edited by Tanker; 28 Dec 11,, 00:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tanker View Post
      British Valentine modified with the Russian 76.2 AT gun? OR the Harley modified with the Mortar platform? That's all I got.
      Boy, that was quick! I wasn't aware of the Valentine mod so obviously it was the Harley Davidson Mortar add-on that I was going for. I was trying to find some info about how they worked out in battle but no luck so far. You wouldn't happen to have anything about that Tanker?

For those interested, here's a link. About a third of the way down:

Lend-Lease Liberators

Comment

• Originally posted by mako88sb View Post
        Boy, that was quick! I wasn't aware of the Valentine mod so obviously it was the Harley Davidson Mortar add-on that I was going for. I was trying to find some info about how they worked out in battle but no luck so far. You wouldn't happen to have anything about that Tanker?

For those interested, here's a link. About a third of the way down:

Lend-Lease Liberators
        Thanks for the new link!! That is cool. When I was stationed in German I saw one in a museum and thought it was bogus until I started playing Squadleader and other board games.

As for the Valentine I have read about it in several publications but have never actually seen one picture or otherwise.

Comment

• Okay. Lets try a new one.

What was Babe Ruth's direct connection to the US military forces?
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Okay. Lets try a new one.

What was Babe Ruth's direct connection to the US military forces?

So not including exhibition games or baby Ruth bars given to troops?

Comment

• http://blogs.archives.gov/prologue/?p=184

George Herman “Babe” Ruth was no exception to the military draft that took place during World War I, but as fate would have it, the Great Bambino’s number was never called.

Still, “Babe” Ruth managed to serve his country. Eighty-six years ago this month, the Sultan of Swat traded out his swing for a salute and enlisted in the 104th Field Artillery Division of the New York Army National Guard before a huge crowd in Times Square. Not only did he join the ranks of the military, but he also joined a growing group of veteran celebrities including Jimi Hendrix, Joe Louis, and Jack Kerouac.

75 years ago today the Great Bambino hit his 714th (and final) home run.

Attached Files
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Very good.

I posted that in honor of ARod.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• This hairdo had a specific purpose in defending a line of main battle tanks. ID the hairdo or the tanks
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• coil or herringbone [braid]

Comment

• Nope

Comment

• wedge
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Nope.

Hint, it's a very specific line of tanks, and as far as I know there are maybe half a dozen types of tank total that sport these hairs

Comment

• Ben,

Is this an IDF specific or common to all western armies?

It may be called one thing in Israel and something different in US
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                              This hairdo had a specific purpose in defending a line of main battle tanks. ID the hairdo or the tanks
                              Do you mean the chains on the Merkava's?
                              Those who know don't speak
                              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Well, it's an IDF thing because IDF tanks, Merkava 2s and above, are the only ones that have them. Mihais is right, I'm referring to the chains on the Merkava 2 and 2B, 3 and 3Baz, 4 and 4B called Hairs of Shulamit or Shulamit's Hair:

Their purpose is to provide added passive protection by causing AT missiles and ATGM's to detonate prematurely by contact, and are there to increase protection in weak areas, such as the connection between the hull and the turret, as well as the rear of the tank, right where the ammo compartments are.

Mihais, your question
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by bigross86; 30 Oct 13,, 18:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X