Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No idea the cost.......I'd imagine it'd be different for each variant though........meh

Comment

• Here's a dirty one:

I'm a cold war badass with enough armour to make a BB jealous.........still I marked the end of heavy tanks....

Comment

• Well first guesses are a Soviet JS-10 Heavy Tank or the American M-103 Of course, there was also the British Conqueror
        Last edited by Albany Rifles; 22 Jan 08,, 19:50.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• AR gets it with the T-10......although the others woulda' been good too........
          All you AR.....

Comment

• Where are you?

There's a whale near Siberia, an alligator, a racetrack, a tony, a bone and a shelf
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              There's a whale near Siberia, an alligator, a racetrack, a tony, a bone and a shelf
              With the remote switching back and forth among the Discovery, History and Animal Planet channels.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Not quite;)

In fact not even close
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by BMF12 View Post
                  No idea the cost.......I'd imagine it'd be different for each variant though........meh
                  267,344.44$

Here's where I found it: Moscow Defense Brief

Comment

• Feanor's Question Still

Has anything changed or doesn't Feanor still have the question? BMF12, have you checked into the MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS thread at the top of the board? Your profile sounds interesting and it'd be cool to learn a bit more about you.
                    Last edited by S2; 22 Jan 08,, 23:27.
                    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                      Has anything changed or doesn't Feanor still have the question? BMF12, have you checked into the MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS thread at the top of the board? Your profile sounds interesting and it'd be cool to learn a bit more about you.
                      He did not guess the Longcat. So I claim the question.

And it is: The T-10 was the last heavy tank, but who killed the heavy tank concept? And why?

EDIT: The Soviet heavy tank, it is.
                      Last edited by entropy; 22 Jan 08,, 23:41.

Comment

• [QUOTE=entropy;451355] And it is: The T-10 was the last heavy tank, but who killed the heavy tank concept? And why?[QUOTE]

I don't think the heavy tank concept was ever killed. It was vastly improved with the MBT-70 program attempting to coordinate sub-assemblies between Germany and the U.S.

Todays MBT's (Abrams, Leopard II, etc.) are heavier than even the late WW II Soviet JS-3 (now called the T-10 without the side skirts) tanks but still carry basically the same caliber main gun (120mm vs 122mm).

It is only the name "Heavy" that was cancelled. Main Battle Tanks of today would have been classified as Heavy tanks prior to 1970 or Super Heavy tanks prior to 1950. My M-41 Walker at 25 tons was classified as a "Light" tank but if it was built in WW II it would have been a "Medium" tank or at least a "Light-Medium".

Remember, in WW II the M-26 Pershing was classified as a Heavy tank. But by the time the Korean War came about it was reclassified as a Medium tank along with its M-46 Patton "look-alike" and the following M-47 and M-48 Pattons.

Today, it's only MBT and all the rest are just Armored or Tracked "Support" vehicles including the M-2 and M-3 series of Bradleys. By my old standards, I would call them Light tanks. But today's military doesn't even consider them to be tanks at all.

Comment

• Sir,

The Soviet tank evolution tree had two parallel lines: The T-[number greater than 30] and the IS/T-[rather small, 3, 7 or ten for example]. They evolved simultaneously, and a many a great creation such as the IS-7 were born. But they did not die a natural death, but were killed artificially in the USSR, while the US tank evolution was quite natural.

Comment

• Okay

So do I withdraw my question?

It seemed there was too much confusion, then a solid question was asked and answered.

Who's the traffic cop?
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                              I asked and nobody knew. So I gave the anwser and kind of let it go

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                                Sir,

The Soviet tank evolution tree had two parallel lines: The T-[number greater than 30] and the IS/T-[rather small, 3, 7 or ten for example]. They evolved simultaneously, and a many a great creation such as the IS-7 were born. But they did not die a natural death, but were killed artificially in the USSR, while the US tank evolution was quite natural.
                                I won't argue that as you are from the source to begin with. However, that clarification shows how correct our Army
                                Intelligence was. (You will note that I do not put Army and
                                Intelligence on the same line as they do not belong together).

A chart of pictures in our battalion commander's office showed what kinds of tanks we may run up against. Naturally the T-34 was most predominant though its armor was almost twice as thick as ours, 76mm knock outs of T-34's (by M-4 Sherman "Firefly's) in Korea gave us some equality (besides being able to boogie out of there faster than anybody else).

The chart also showed the Josef Stalin II tank as a potential enemy and was easy to recognize as it looked like a T-34 on steroids.

They also showed the Josef Stalin III tank with that extremely sloped turret, huge 122mm gun and bow plates that looked like they were built for ramming.

Then finally there was the T-54 "Kruschev" tank. Well, that's what Army
                                Intelligence named it.

At least those were the designations our Army
                                Intelligence labled them as. So that was what we had to go by. Later what we called the JS III was lightened up with the removal of side skirts and a couple of other things WE called it the T-10 as our Army
                                Intelligence believed it to be a down-graded version of the JS III.

Sorry about the splitting of the sentences between Army and
                                Intelligence. Separating those two words in separate sentences (as normally required) would not make for proper grammar, to say nothing of the accuracy of "Intelligence" that was handed down to us.

At least the pictures on the chart were neat.

Comment

Working...
                                X