This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1idvet Reply

Nope. Not at all. I didn't leave enough good clues to intrigue folks and a good thread was fading from disinterest. Time to give it up. Shamus had flipped me one so I'm flipping it back.

IIRC a union and a confederate regiment suffered the highest single-day casualties both at Gettysburg. Supposedly 7th Cav exceeded that at Ia Drang, to include the LZ Albany ambush.

I met Lt. Col Marm at Benning in February, 1986. He was a training battalion commander. I remember feeling a bit sad for some reason, not knowing how his career had laid out to culminate in that way. Very unfairly, I expected more somehow.

The battle stupifies me with it's intensity. I first learned of it as a youngster in a book called Seven Firefights in Vietnam. This is an excellent website by Harold Moore/Joe Galloway-

L.Z. X-RAY
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Joe Marm MOH and only made LTC? Wow. That is rather disturbing.
      Training Battalion is usually the death knell for a LTC's career isn't it?
      I never heard of it being good for it.

Comment

• Easy one for WWII Pacific afficianados:I was the Japanese ground commander charged with the defense of the Philippines.When I saw defeat was inevitable,I refused to commit suicide believing that my execution for war crimes might spare the lives of my subordinates and soldiers.Bonus points if you know my name and the nickname I was given earlier in the war.Who am I??
        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Gen. Yamashita surrendered to Gen. Wainwright at Baguio?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shamus View Post
            Easy one for WWII Pacific afficianados:I was the Japanese ground commander charged with the defense of the Philippines.When I saw defeat was inevitable,I refused to commit suicide believing that my execution for war crimes might spare the lives of my subordinates and soldiers.Bonus points if you know my name and the nickname I was given earlier in the war.Who am I??
            I don't know the answer but did it work?
            Originally posted by GVChamp
            College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

• General Masaharu Homma

"The poet general".
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                IIRC a union and a confederate regiment suffered the highest single-day casualties both at Gettysburg.
                Record holders for highest casualties of a surviving unit were 1st Minnesota at Gettysburg, and 5th Texas at Antietam.

Comment

• bluesman Reply

I'm reading Sword of Lincoln by Jeff Wert. He says,

"At Gettysburg, the 24th Michigan and 26th North Carolina sustained more casualties than any regiment in their respective armies... -the regiment [151st Pennsylvania] lost more than 70 percent of its members, the second highest regimental loss in the battle."

That's where my comment was coming from. I wrote my response poorly. Worse, now I can't find where I read about the 7th at Ia Drang relative to Gettysburg. Glad I just gave up the answer. I was diggin' a hole for myself at that rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Feanor View Post
                    Gen. Yamashita surrendered to Gen. Wainwright at Baguio?
                    You are correct with General Yamashita Feanor.His nickname was the "Tiger of Malaya".Your question.
                    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Expat Canuck View Post
                      I don't know the answer but did it work?
                      I'm not sure if it saved his men but General Yamashita was hanged by MacArthur as a war criminal.

Comment

• Its all in the counting

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                        Record holders for highest casualties of a surviving unit were 1st Minnesota at Gettysburg, and 5th Texas at Antietam.
                        Which unit suffered the most casualties is often bandied about. High casualties are nto always a sign of a good unit...could just be bad luck coupled with bad leadership and lack of experience (see 1st Maine Heavy at Petersburg) or a desperate situation (1st Minnesota and 26th North Carolina at Gettysburg). The following site gives a good overview of casualties and measurements of the American Civil War

Casualties In The Civil War

Fox's Regimental Losses has always been recognized by historians of the seminal work on the sanguinary characteristics of the Civil War. You can get some extrememly in depth info on the topic here.

Fox's Regimental Losses
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• What is oldest (by date of original commission) air craft carrier still operating today?

Comment

• It's Still A LAND FORCES QUIZ

C'mon!;)

Comment

• Well we don't have a naval forces quiz. And I thought it would be a good question. I mean what, do you really want another question about motherland?

Comment

• Feanor Reply

Yes. Or surrender...your question.

Comment

Working...
                                X