Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guderian, at Schwangau? Can't figure out exactly when Hoth got out of prison, but it seems possible.
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

• Armchair General Reply

No. Review the names of all five mentioned attendees (but four should be sufficient) for a pointed intersection.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• More Clues

I was wounded when my command element was bombed by friendly air-forces on the cusp of a great achievement in an important battle. I DID NOT die of those wounds.
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• I was eulogized by Herman Hoth and my burial was attended by my wife, Field Marshal Von Manstein, and Generals Raus and Kempf.

Who am I and where did I die?
          Herman Hoth released from Prison 1954- cannot be some one who died after May 45 through 1953

Raus died in 1956

So it is either a WW2 funeral or occured between 1954-56

Guderian fits the time-lime but not the wounding.

Comment

• More Clues

And of the fourth male mentioned attending, also a general...

Where do their names intersect?

Comment

• Zraver Reply

"So it is either a WW2 funeral..."

You're on track here.

Comment

• They intersect at Kursk

That leaves these names as possible contenders assuming a general officer.

General-Leutnant Hermann Kress
                General-Major Walther von Hünersdorff
                General der Infanterie Hans Zorn

Comment

• Zraver Reply

Where's your intersection of clues and when did Kress die?

What unit did Zorn command again and who attended MY funeral?

Comment

• Herman Kress LG died 11 Aug 43 during the Kursk/Orel battles

Zorn commanded XXXXVI.Panzer Corps in Walter Model's 9th Army.

Comment

• Zraver Reply

Kress did die on that date but my information says he died as Cdr. 4th Gebirgsjager Division as part of 17th Armee much further south near Kuban and Novorossiysk.

IIRC, Zorn commanded XLVI Panzer Corps in 9th Armee under Model.

(EDIT- Sorry, you said the same thing last post)

Walther Von Hunersdorff commanded 6 Pz Div as part of III Pz Corps, Armee Abteilung Kempf at Kursk. He is the correct answer.

Good job. Your question, sir.
                      Last edited by S2; 11 Jan 08,, 12:23.

Comment

• What was the primary rifle used by RoK troops in the early part of the Korean War?

Comment

• Zraver Reply

Arisaka rifle?

Comment

• nope, it was supplied by its principle ally. However the Chinese Communist during the Chinese civil war used a great deal of former Japanese equipment handed over by the Soviets.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                              What was the primary rifle used by RoK troops in the early part of the Korean War?
                              The M-1 Garand AND the M-1 Carbine. Remember, ROK stands for Republic of Korea or better known as South Korea.

Some of the rifles (as later had to be done for South Viet Namese soldiers) had to have the stocks cut back one-inch because of the shorter stature of the average Asian. Therefore a lot of ROK soldiers opted for the M-1 Carbine.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                                The M-1 Garand AND the M-1 Carbine. Remember, ROK stands for Republic of Korea or better known as South Korea.

Some of the rifles (as later had to be done for South Viet Namese soldiers) had to have the stocks cut back one-inch because of the shorter stature of the average Asian. Therefore a lot of ROK soldiers opted for the M-1 Carbine.
                                I'll accept that, I cant find my sources that said it was the 1903.
                                Last edited by zraver; 11 Jan 08,, 21:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X