No announcement yet.

More American Battleships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Examine that ship carefully and tell me what you see. What are it's distingushing characteristics?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

A shitload of guns, smoke stacks and what appears to maybe be a drone airplane aft?
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Same thing as that aircraft carrier on the other thread. Look closely at it. Look for familiar elements of other ships you have seen.
        I'm not trying to aggrevate you, believe me. This is good training, looking for details. As they say, the devil is in the details.
        Start with basic observations. You've already said it has a shitload of guns which is a good start.
        Try identifying the country of origin.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Not much detail, but here goes: It looks like an American ship due to the number on the hull. Those guns look like 16" but I can't really tell. There also seem to be some 5" in there as well.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Good, so using what you already know about American battleships, and this ship has 16-inch guns, just keep going from there. Try to get a count of at least the main guns. You also noticed the hull number. What is the number? What ship was that assigned to?

Comment

I count at least 4 main sets of three 16". BB-67 was the USS Montana, but it was cancelled before completed. The other USS Montana was BB-51

Comment

Very good! It's all in the details. The first I immeadiately noticed when I saw that picture (painting actually) was the striking similarities to the Iowa-class. BUT, that after 16-inch turret also stuck out like a sore thumb :)

Comment

So what are you saying? This is also a spoof?

Comment

Not a spoof, this one is an "artists rendition" of a Montana-class battleship, and quite nicely done as well. I'd love to have it enlarged and framed. It would look just smashing on my bedroom wall.

Comment

The new Montana, right? But it was only 22% finished

Comment

Actually none of the Montana's were even laid down. They were all cancelled before any construction was started and I think before any equipment like engines and guns were even ordered.
                        The Iowa-class USS Illinois was cancelled at around 22% complete (My home state could have had her own Iowa-class!)

Comment

Right, my mistake. I was looking at the wrong ship.

Comment

Excellent reference chart. Notice how the Kearsarge, Oregon and Illinois remained on that chart long after their sisters were gone.

Comment

Does that mean anything, or are you just pointing something out?

Comment

It does mean something. Kearsarge was converted to a crane ship, Illinois was converted to a barracks ship and Oregon was a storage hulk. Also Mississippi (BB-41) was converted to a gunnery training ship/missile test platform and served long past her contemporaries.

Comment

Working...
                                X