More American Battleships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with all the icons? Are you higher than a kite or something? :smoke
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Too many pitzel cookies.

Mom added too much anisette apparently. ;)

Comment

Not so much higher than a kite, but getting there... Went to a cool concert last night, moshed until the early morning. Killed LOTS of brain cells...
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Sounds like you need an ice pack and cold beer :)
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Nah, 10 hours of sleep, a breeazer and two shots of Macallan fixed whatever needed fixing.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Hey dont want you two t think i was eavesdropping on your conversation but I love the big guns and I am a huge fan of the "The Great Dreadnought Race". Any how you were saying that you visited the Bama and I thought it was cool because I try to visit the Big Mamie or the USS Massachusetts BB59 at least every couple years. The South Dakotas have great lines. I think the best looking capital ships of all time though were the battle cruisers from the Royal Navy. Or maybe the Hipper class German cruisers, or maybe the Tripitz. I guess I kinda like them all. Have you ever ready Dudley Pope and the Battle of the River plate about the Graf Spee ? Thats a great story. But the best running gun battle battle story ever has to be undoubtedly the battle of Jutland.
              "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

Hey no sweat Hawg (Welcome Back Mr Kotter! lol), bigross and I tend to get off on tangents involving things most of the board couldnt care less about (except for maybe Sniper) so it's nice to have someone else around to hear us go on and on and on and on....
                Anyway, glad to know someone else got to tour a South Dakota-class battleship. They really quite nice though of course for sheer beauty I'd have to go with an Iowa-class. Of course, since they were both designed by a gent named Chantry there's no surprise they resemble each other.
                I agree with you about the British battlecruisers, they were very smart, sharp looking ships. I especially liked HMS Hood, it's a shame she didnt get the refit and armor-protection that might have saved her life or at least meant that more than just 3 men would survive her sinking. It was such a horrible flashback of Beatty's battlecruisers at Jutland.
                I havent read that book on the Graf Spee you mentioned, though I'd like to. It was such a classic moment in naval history. Captain Langsdorff made some poor decisions but overall, he seemed to be a decent man, caring about his crew.

Comment

Possibly the most classic battleship photo of WWII. USS Pennsylvania and USS Colorado leading some light cruisers as they storm across the Pacific with a bone in their teeth.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A sad sad sight. USS Tennessee and USS California at the end of the line
                    Attached Files

Comment

I remember that pic. Once I heard a really cool story involving those ships, but I was young and I forgot it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                        I but I forgot it.
                        Well, it'll happen more and more as you get older :LOL

Comment

I have a picture that I have to shrink down. It's of USS West Virginia being scrapped. In fact, there is virtually nothing left of her. Another sad sight.

Comment

Here is USS Iowa firing what looks like 3-round salvo. You can still see the rounds in the air. Note the SH-3 Sea King in the upper right of the photo. Talk about the best seat in the house!
                            Attached Files

Comment

The battleship that never was.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Care to explain that one?

Comment

Working...
                                X