This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation Quiz

I hope that there are enough people interested in aviation so that we might have our own little quiz. To start the ball rolling I would like to ask 'When was the last instance of a piston engined fighter aircraft shooting down another piston engined fighter'?
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

I have to imagine it was in some little bush country civil war in either S. America or africa I'll say sometime in the 90's heck with the way yugoslavia break-off have gone at each other I imgaine they possible could have had Yak's shooting at each other, as reacently as 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
      ...'When was the last instance of a piston engined fighter aircraft shooting down another piston engined fighter'?
      July 17, 1969?
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
        July 17, 1969?
        Correct, well done that man there! :) For full Brownie points I want Where? Why? And which types of aircraft were involved?

Comment

What? Its been far too long.

Clearly I need to buy a P-51, rearm it, and take a trip to an airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
            What? Its been far too long.

Clearly I need to buy a P-51, rearm it, and take a trip to an airshow.
            Er, I should mention that the loser was a Salvadorian P-51 and the victor a Honduran F4U Corsair!

Comment

Er, I should mention that the loser was a Salvadorian P-51 and the victor a Honduran F4U Corsair!
              Both American-built, or was one or both license-built somewhere else? I only ask because I was imagining Vought employees sending snide letters to their North American counterparts...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                Both American-built, or was one or both license-built somewhere else? I only ask because I was imagining Vought employees sending snide letters to their North American counterparts...
                Good point. The Mustang was re-manufactured by Cavalier to 'Mustang 2' standard, so the NA employees can breathe easy!

Comment

Good point. The Mustang was re-manufactured by Cavalier to 'Mustang 2' standard, so the NA employees can breathe easy!
                  And it STILL got greased by the Whistling Death.

Buy American iron. Unless you're FIGHTING American iron, you're good to go.

Comment

Next question, my fellow WABbers:
                    I want to know about the first intercontinental flight. All you have to provide is the name of the pilot, date, aircraft type and the start and end points.:) Come on, don't be shy!

Comment

without google, spirit of st.louise.
                      ny-paris
                      Last edited by omon; 22 Dec 07,, 18:11.
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                        without google, spirit of st.louise.
                        ny-paris
                        No, long before then :)

Comment

The Hindenburg?

Comment

I think you're getting closer. Certainly an airship of some kind, whether it was a more standard balloon or a dirigible...I'm going with a balloon around 1912.

Edit: Foiled by history!
                            Last edited by Jimmy; 22 Dec 07,, 23:11.

Comment

I'll give you a clue. It had wings:)

Comment

Working...
                              X