This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    I think that one's a bit too tough. It's been a couple days -- you should tell us the answer. :)
    Thanks for the call Iron Duke,

:( My apologies. I strayed too far from aviation. These are "brevity words" that have been used by Western Allied aircrews for decades. Here's a link:

OPERATIONAL BREVITY WORDS AND TERMINOLOGY

"The balloon goes up" = War--Common phrase. I don't know its origin.

"Gorilla" = Large attack formation
    "Angels 30" = 30,000 feet altitude
    "As fragged" = As planned
    "FEBA" = Forward Edge of the Battle Area
    "Chattermark" = Use brevity words. Enemy is jamming our communications.

What's happening?: You are attacking North Korea after hostilities began. You are in a large formation of attack aircraft. No updates have been passed to AWACs so you are told to continue as planned. Approaching North Korea, your formation encounters communications jamming. Your formation leader and or AWACs calls for the use of brevity words.

Sorry Gents.

I pass the baton.
    Last edited by GAU-8; 16 Jan 08,, 00:12.

Comment

I've got one if that's okay.

Who was the first person to break the sound barrier? Easy eh?
      Originally posted by GVChamp
      College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Air..Chuck Yeager Oct 14 1947

Land..Andy Green British Thrust 763.035mph Oct 15 1997

Comment

I thought it was either my first drill sergeant or my ex-wife when she was yelling at me. :))
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Lifted from several Google sorces:

Hans Guido Mutke claimed to have broken the sound barrier on April 9, 1945 in a Messerschmitt Me 262. However, this claim is disputed by most experts as the Me262's stucture could not support high transonic, let alone supersonic, flight and lacks a scientific foundation.

George Welch apparently broke the sound barrier on October 1, 1947 while diving the subsonic XP-86 Sabre. 13 days, 30 minutes before Yeager's historic flight. Welch apparently repeated his supersonic flight. Although evidence from witnesses and instruments strongly imply that Welch achieved supersonic speed, the flights were not properly monitored and cannot be officially recognized. (The XP-86 officially achieved supersonic speed on April 26, 1948.)

Chuck Yeager (then a Captain in the US Air Force) is the first person accepted and documented to have broken the sound barrier in level flight on October 14, 1947, flying the experimental Bell X-1 rocket plane to Mach 1 at an altitude of 45,000 feet. Yeager's flight was part of a test program with the goal of achieving supersonic flight so proper monitoring was in place for the flight.
            Last edited by GAU-8; 16 Jan 08,, 21:35.

Comment

Gau-8 got it with Welch, I doubt that the 262 could have done it though.

The after flight reports and the people on the ground heard it and Welch was told not to do it again. Good read down below. :)

The Amazing George Welch: Part One

Edit//

In regards to the song which I quite likes so thanks for posting.

He must have been a Marine and flying Corsairs!!! What a beauty.
              Originally posted by GVChamp
              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

When was the first successful use of an ejection seat? Extra points for where and under what circumstances.
                Last edited by GAU-8; 17 Jan 08,, 16:45.

Comment

while in the air it was an He 280 after its control frozed in the beginning of 42. But I guess the seat was tested on the ground before, but not sure if that would count.

Comment

Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
                    When was the first successful use of an ejection seat? Extra points for where and under what circumstances.
                    It seems to have been by someone called Schenk who ejected from a towed Heinkel He 280 after it was unable to release from the towplane.
                    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• Well done Gents. Good job on the name Glyn. I show a different date but the situation is correct. Tarek, you were first by a mere 5 minues, you're question.

The first use of an ejection seat was made by pilot Schenk, on 13-1-1943. He required it's use when the He 280, which was powered by two Argus pulse-jets that required a high forward speed to start up, refused to separate from the tow aircraft due to the cable release mechanism icing up. As a precaution, Schenk ejected and landed safely.
                      Last edited by GAU-8; 18 Jan 08,, 16:11.

Comment

• since I gotta move back to bavaria glyn should get the question.

Comment

• Thank you Tarek. :)
                          This question is a stinker (I hope!)
                          What was the first purpose built (and employed) airborne surgery? The name, year and country will satisfy me.

(one that was moved by air to near the patients location)

Comment

• Glyn,

Do you mean an aircraft that was outfitted for medical purposes? An air ambulance? Or more in the line of a facility like the The Hope hospital ship--a flying hospital versus a flloating hospital?

Bill
                            Last edited by GAU-8; 20 Jan 08,, 16:53. Reason: add content

Comment

• Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
                              Glyn,

Do you mean an aircraft that was outfitted for medical purposes? An air ambulance? Or more in the line of a facility like the The Hope hospital ship--a flying hospital versus a flloating hospital?

Bill

(one that was moved by air to near the patients location)

It had an operating table carried on the outside of the fuselage. This was dismounted for surgery. An X-Ray machine was also carried. The sawbones did their work on terra firma.

Comment

• Was it the Bell 47 helicopter?
                                When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X