This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good Blues, your turn.

Tarek, glad you're feeling a little better. You've had a rough time. Get well soon.

Bill

Comment

Aerobatic manuevers are displayed graphically in a type of shorthand symbology. What is the name of the style, and after whom is it named?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
        I am back home now, but feeling already much better. On Tuesday I was vomiting 12 times in several hours (and I did not know how painful it is trying to vomit when your stomach is already completly empty...) After I called my doc to get an fast appointment but failed to show up (and that point I was unable to walk there or take the SBahn), they called me and asked if everything was alright. After I told them that Icould not get there on my own they called a taxi for me and the driver helped from my appartment to the car and all the way to the Docs office. From that point I don't remember much, except that they run several test and started giving me several infusion. Then on of his assitants brought me to the nearby hospital where again they run several test (but I don't have a clue which ones...I was half asleep most of the time) and gave me further infusions over the whole night. Whatever was in there it helped pretty well, though I am still feeling kinda sick and pretty ko I can slowly start eating again and my father could pick me up this morning (or yesterdays morning, depending on your timezone). Yay for German healthcare.

Uhm about your question and to get back on topic, are it only US-fighters?
        Terek it sounds like you have what 100.000 brits have. There is a bug doing the rounds and laying low lot of people for upto 10 days.

I hope you are up to date with your Krankenschein:)

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
          Aerobatic manuevers are displayed graphically in a type of shorthand symbology. What is the name of the style, and after whom is it named?
          Blues,

Great question and timely too. This gives us all a chance to note Mr. Aresti's passing in 2003.

I hope my answer is correct. I lifted this from an IAC page:

Jose Louis de Aresti Aguirre, widely known within the aerobatic community and member of the International Aerobatic Club (IAC)--most widely known for his work in developing the aerocryptographic system, or shorthand, for recording aerobatic maneuvers, more commonly known as the “Sistema Aresti” or Aresti System.

His aerobatic figure diagrams allowed internationally competing pilots to communicate, even when they did not speak the same language. The Aresti System is accepted worldwide as the system of drawing aerobatic figures.

Comment

Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
            Blues,

Great question and timely too. This gives us all a chance to note Mr. Aresti's passing in 2003.

I hope my answer is correct. I lifted this from an IAC page:

Jose Louis de Aresti Aguirre, widely known within the aerobatic community and member of the International Aerobatic Club (IAC)--most widely known for his work in developing the aerocryptographic system, or shorthand, for recording aerobatic maneuvers, more commonly known as the “Sistema Aresti” or Aresti System.

His aerobatic figure diagrams allowed internationally competing pilots to communicate, even when they did not speak the same language. The Aresti System is accepted worldwide as the system of drawing aerobatic figures.
            Dead-on.

G'ahead.

Comment

"G'ahead"

Yeew from Joisie? OH Jeez.

Translation for our Brit cousins:
              "Are you from Jersey? Oh my. How nice."

Blues,

Just got in. Gotta hit the rack. I hate keeping the Euro's waiting. I'll be back on in about 10 hours. Toss a good one out if you're still up to keep it going.

Thanks Bro.

Bill

Zzzzzzzzzz.......
              Last edited by GAU-8; 11 Jan 08,, 05:45.

Comment

You got it.

If an aircraft is reported missing or down, what term is used to number the human beings aboard, and why is that term used instead of the more obvious 'person'?

Comment

Thanks Blues,

I know half of this one.

"Souls on board." S.O.B.

As for why, I know that some flights carry the deceased. I guess in the event of a recovery operation, they would want to know how many live passengers and crew were on the flight? I've been filing flight plans for 25 years. I should know this.
                  Last edited by GAU-8; 11 Jan 08,, 13:22.

Comment

Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
                    Thanks Blues,

I know half of this one.

"Souls on board." S.O.B.

As for why, I know that some flights carry the deceased. I guess in the event of a recovery operation, they would want to know how many live passengers and crew were on the flight? I've been filing flight plans for 25 years. I should know this.
                    Absolutely correct. 'Souls' refer to remains as well as the living that boarded the aircraft prior to whatever unfortunate event has occurred to prompt an accounting of those recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
                      A Sikorsky H-5 onboard the USS Consolation 1951? I think it must have been earlier though.

Following predates that one, SS Daghestan, North Atlantic, 16 January 1944. This could have been by a Coast Guard pilot and also not a USN ship though.
                      No, earlier still:)
                      The Hard Drive failed on my computer so I am using my daughters. Hope to be back to normal operations soon.
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                        No, earlier still:)
                        The Hard Drive failed on my computer so I am using my daughters. Hope to be back to normal operations soon.
                        Damn Glyn. Pulling my hair out now! FAA did it in 1939 but I know that doesn`t count...Good luck with your `puter:)
                        "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

The first rotary wing landing on a US ship occured on 23rd September 1931 when Lt AM Pride USN landed an XOP-1 Autogyro on the USS Langley. Ha! I bet everyone assumed 'rotary wing' to be a helicopter!:))
                          Last edited by glyn; 12 Jan 08,, 21:30.

Comment

GAU-8, it's your question :)

Comment

You are an allied fighter pilot working with the Pacific Air Command circa 1990's--Korean theater of operations. What do these underlined terms mean?

The balloon goes up.

Your gorilla just pushed from the anchor at angels 30. AWACS informs that the mission will go as fragged. As you approach the FEBA, your leader calls for chattermark.

Questions:

1. What is going on here?

2. What enemy actions made your leader call for chattermark?
                              Last edited by GAU-8; 14 Jan 08,, 16:17.

Comment

I think that one's a bit too tough. It's been a couple days -- you should tell us the answer. :)
                                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                                X