Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this cargo aircraft has the most unfortunate names , given both by owners and opponents . One is embarrassing and other is somewhat rude . Name the aircraft and names ?
    If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Hmm. I can think of a few aircraft that have gained 'unfortunate' nicknames. Some I wouldn't dare to post on WAB!
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

well , one is official , thought to be praising name , but on closer look itīs not so good of a name . The other is/was calling name / reporting name given by NATO .
        And itīs a really big plane . And a cargo plane . Post WW2 .

Comment

**** was what the NATO side called the Antonov An 22 under the C for Cargo designation. I don't know what the Soviets called it though.

**** is Charlie Oscar Charlie Kilo

Comment

An-22 is correct . Can somebody find the other part of the question ?

Comment

Ok , time is up . An-22 īAntaiosī . According to greek mythology , Antaios was invincible giant , who lost all his power when he was lifted from ground .:)) .

Comment

Originally posted by braindead View Post
                Ok , time is up . An-22 īAntaiosī . According to greek mythology , Antaios was invincible giant , who lost all his power when he was lifted from ground .:)) .
                Variously called 'Antei' or 'Antaeus' in the West. Is the explanation of his lost powers when lifted off the ground what you meant by embarrassing?

Comment

Never knew that. I'm fairly well considered expert on the subject, too, but had never heard what that aircraft was actually known as.

I love this Board.

Comment

OK braindead, you win. :)
                    Another question if you please.

Comment

OK then, an easy one until braindead can come up with a proper question.
                      What was the first helicopter to cross the English Channel (and when)?:)

Comment

Uh it was a German built Drache (dragon) in 45, brought to the UK for testings after it was captured. Its purpose was to be used as MedEvac, but did not enter service..I think...

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                          Uh it was a German built Drache (dragon) in 45, brought to the UK for testings after it was captured. Its purpose was to be used as MedEvac, but did not enter service..I think...
                          Correct!:) It was a Fa 223E on the 25th July 1945. I reckon it's your go, Tarek.

Comment

uhm another easy one, first use of planes to attack a ground target?

Comment

A good question which will provide a most interesting answer, so roll up, roll up and take part in the quiz everyone!:)

Comment

1911 Italy v Turkey. Italians used a 'plane to drop granades onto the Turks in Libya

Comment

Working...
                                X