X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
    Ok. No reply.
    Sorry about that, I completely forgot I'd had a question here. You got it. :-)
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Looks like an early biplane drone.
      AR 90% there which is good enough for me. If no one comes up with more info by 10 am EDT 21 July 2018 US side of the dateline. The floor will be yours and all will be revealed Unless someone else comes up with the answer.

Comment

• Sorry stuck in that part of the world you need two passports. Anyway, AR is right it is a drone. https://gizmodo.com/this-flying-bomb...ssi-1184824802 I believe it is the first time anyone put a gyro on an aircraft.

AR the floor is yours.
        Last edited by Dazed; 26 Jul 18,, 23:22.

Comment

• What tie does the F/A-18E have to No. 617 Squadron RAF?
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Any takers?
            Mark Twain

Comment

• VFA-195 both have been to MCAS Beaufort, share the same squadron name.

Comment

• Very good!

We all know of 617 Squadron being called the Dam Busters from their successful attack on the Ruhr Dams in 1943 in OPERATION CHASTISE.

In May 1951 in order to slow a Chinese advance VA-195 attacked the Hwachon Dam in their AD Skyraiders and torpedoed the dam. 6 torpedoes hit and breached the dam. From that action they have become know the Dam Busters.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/h...t-hwachon-dam/

Your thread, Dazed
                Mark Twain

Comment

• It is mostly an American thing. 1.) What do all three have in common? 2.) What do the two civilian aircraft have in common?Click image for larger version

Name:	Non stop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1477061Click image for larger version

Name:	onestopnopiss.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1477062Click image for larger version

Name:	leans real good.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1477063
                  Last edited by Dazed; 05 Aug 18,, 07:44.

Comment

• Dick Rutan?
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• The other part of the question. Around the world flights? Unrefueled perhaps for the balloon and non Buf civilian aircraft?

Comment

• All three were non stop around the world flights. Unrefueled flight in the case of the Dick Rutan designs.

Albany Rifle and FlankDestroyer you are both correct. What do the rules say?

Comment

• I'll pass to the Tin Can Man to my side (see what I did there?!?!?)

I am heading out on leave THU so may not be on here much.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Ok then. Tell me about the USN's first drone ASW aircraft.

Comment

• Once upon a time I did a model of a 1/350 Gearing Fram DD.

Would the drone aircraft be the Gyrodine QH-50 DASH?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DASH.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1477090

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                                Once upon a time I did a model of a 1/350 Gearing Fram DD.

Would the drone aircraft be the Gyrodine QH-50 DASH?

[ATTACH]46570[/ATTACH]
                                Right you are.

The picture you show is from a FRAM II Sumner Destroyer which also had DASH. You can see the variable Depth Sonar as well on the fantail. The drone was either controlled from the flight deck station or from Combat Information Center (CIC). The CIC controller would fly the Drone over a submarine and drop the torpedo. This was a very accurate delivery system and extended the range envelope for ASW weapons.

The technology was perhaps a little before its time. It was also used experimentally to spot gunfire during the Vietnam war.

Comment

Working...
                                X