This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
    Ironduke they were modified to resemble the aircraft you mentioned.
    Just to be clear, the pictures you posted are of another aircraft mocked up to resemble the "Kate" and "Val"?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      Just to be clear, the pictures you posted are of another aircraft mocked up to resemble the "Kate" and "Val"?
      Yes, They are airworthy.
      Last edited by Dazed; 20 Jun 18,, 17:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazed View Post
        Really close. Both were built in 1944 modified in 1969.
        They look like they could be the Goodyear F2G Corsair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_F2G_Corsair

Comment

• Ironduke

No. They about 220+ mph slower. They were made to be movie stars. Trainers

Comment

• I was going to answer with the North American T-6 Texan, but I'd thought when you mentioned 1944 you were referring to the aircraft's first flight.

The Texan first flew in 1935, so I started looking at other aircraft that bore a resemblance to the pictures you posted. :-)

Comment

• Ironduke

I will give it to you. They both have the tail of a BT-13. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vultee_BT-13_Valiant. The gray one was a BT-13 modified to look like a Val ( http://www.daveswarbirds.com/tora/Val.htm ) and the green one is a 1944 SNJ/T-6. http://www.daveswarbirds.com/tora/Kate.htm They were created for the movie Tora Tora Tora.

The floor is yours.

Comment

• Identify this aircraft:

Comment

• Blohm & Voss BV 141

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                    Blohm & Voss BV 141
                    You got it. You're up.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ss_bv_141.html
                    The Blohm und Voss Bv 141 was an asymmetric reconnaissance aircraft designed in response to the same specification that led to the Focke-Wulf 189.

The most original feature of the Bv 141 was its lack of symmetry. Most previous short-range reconnaissance aircraft had been high-winged monoplanes, with the crew carried below the wing in a glazed cabin (as in the Fieseler Storch), but these had generally been smaller aircraft. The new specifications would have been hard to achieve with such an aircraft, and none of the three designs submitted would follow the same layout.

Arado produced the most conventional aircraft, the shoulder-winged single-engined monoplane Arado Ar 198, with a glazed belly below the wing. This was the initial favourite, but suffered from poor handling. Blohm and Voss and Focke-Wulf responded to the problem by separating the crew compartment from the rest of the aircraft. Focke-Wulf's Fw 189 was actually quite a conventional twin-boom aircraft, made to look more radical by its heavily glazed crew compartment.

The Blohm und Voss design was the most radical, and was designed by Dr Ing Richard Vogt. The original specification had called for a single engined design, so Blohm und Voss produced an aircraft in which the engine occupied the main fuselage, while the crew were carried in a glazed pod effectively mounted on the right wing and connected to the engine by a short central wing section. The crew had a largely unobstructed view in most directions (apart from directly to the left).

The lack of symmetry extended to just about every detail of the aircraft. The left wing was longer than the right wing. On the tail the fin was mounted on the main engine boom, with the horizontal surfaces all on the left-hand side. The main landing wheels retracted outwards into the wings, with the right wheel closer to the crew cabin than the left wheel was to the engine. Even so the rear wheel was nearer to the left wheel than the right.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the German Air Ministry was not interested in such a radical design. Arado and Focke-Wulf were given funds to construct prototypes of their designs, but Blohm und Voss were not. Undaunted by this the company decided to built a single prototype using their own funds. This aircraft, originally designated the Ha 141-0 (at this point Blohm und Voss aircraft used the Ha prefix as they were produced by the giant shipbuilder's Hamburger Flugzeugbau subsidiary), made its maiden flight on 25 February 1938.

Comment

You got it. You're up.
                      Here you go

Comment

• That's the Kalinin K-7.

The Kalinin K-7 (Russian: Калинин К-7; Ukrainian: Калінін К-7) was a heavy experimental aircraft designed and tested in the Soviet Union in the early 1930s. It was of unusual configuration, with twin booms and large underwing pods housing fixed landing gear and machine gun turrets. In the passenger version, seats were arranged inside the 2.3-meter thick (7 ft 7 in) wings. The airframe was welded from KhMA chrome-molybdenum steel. The original design called for six engines in the wing leading edge, but when the projected loaded weight was exceeded, two more engines were added to the trailing edges of the wing, one right and one left of the central passenger pod.[1] Nemecek states in his book that at first only one further pusher engine was added.[2]
                        Since I cheated and used a reverse Google image search to find out what it was, thread is open.

Comment

Since I cheated and used a reverse Google image search to find out what it was, thread is open.
                          Hehe. Ok 1 more.

Comment

• HAL Marut, first indian home developed jet, afaik.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                              HAL Marut, first indian home developed jet, afaik.
                              Correct.

HAL HF-24 Marut

Kurt Tank's excellent design wasted because of an inability to procure the required engines.

Your turn.

Comment

• I'm british, I can only reach my overseas destination by hitching a ride. What am I?

Comment

Working...
                                X