This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Monash View Post
    No credit away from the USS Laffey and her crew but hopelessly outgunne though they were they also weren't alone that fatal day. I'd actually prefer to see ask account of HMS Jervis Bay's engagement or even HMS Glowworm's fight on the big screen.
    Both stirring stories worthy of a film. Perhaps Christopher Nolan could take it on.

As for me I'd love to see a film on the TAFFY 3 fight.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Both stirring stories worthy of a film. Perhaps Christopher Nolan could take it on.

As for me I'd love to see a film on the TAFFY 3 fight.
      That would be one heck of a movie. And expensive, too.

Comment

• What is this?

"Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• F2Y Sea Dart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            F2Y Sea Dart.
            Correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_F2Y_Sea_Dart
            The Convair F2Y Sea Dart was an American seaplane fighter aircraft that rode on twin hydro-skis during takeoff and landing. It flew only as a prototype, and never entered mass production. It is the only seaplane to have exceeded the speed of sound.

It was created in the 1950s, to overcome the problems with supersonic planes taking off and landing on aircraft carriers. The program was canceled after a series of unsatisfactory results and a tragic accident on 4 November 1954, when test pilot Charles E. Richbourg was killed when the Sea Dart he was piloting disintegrated in midair. The four surviving planes were retired in 1957, but some were kept in reserve until 1962.
            You're up.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• The only US Marine to become an ace in 2 wars. Also the only Marine to become a Ace in both piston and jet powered planes.

Who is he?

Comment

• F4U and F-86 pilot …… John Bolt.

Comment

• Correct. WW2 ace with VMF-214 and Korean ace as a exchange pilot with the USAF 39th fighter Squadron.

He is also the last USMC pilot to become an ace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Bolt

Your question

Comment

• Hell of an exchange Officer tour! Flying a F-86 must have been a dream.

What was the US Navy/USMC "F-86" called?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlankDestroyer View Post
                      Hell of an exchange Officer tour! Flying a F-86 must have been a dream.

What was the US Navy/USMC "F-86" called?
                      FJ-3 Fury. There is an example at the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Musuem located on MCAS Miramar. I took these photos about 10 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050906.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	833.1 KB
ID:	1476571Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050909.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	479.6 KB
ID:	1476572

Comment

• Right you are. Back to you.

Actually the F-86 was developed in part from the first generation straight wing North American Fury FJ-1. Later Fury variants followed up on the successful F-86.

The USS Midway just "trapped" a restored Fury in Marine Markings last winter. Beautiful aircraft maybe one of the best looking ever whether a F-86/FJ.

Comment

• I thought the first 3 FJ-2 prototypes were navalized F-86. The wings, horizontal stab, and gear were different from the f-86. The FJ-3 had the nose profiled changed the different engine and the wing.

Comment

• Yes, I believe the FJ-2 was the original F-86 mod. The FJ-3 incorporated a new engine and some other modifications. So the FJ-3 was a mod of the F-86, but not the initial version. The photos I had were of the FJ-3, so I went with that.

Comment

• What aircraft is this? Bonus: what aircraft is it rumoured to be based on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	006xNURsly1fqrbanszt9j313p1nkb29.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1476573

Comment

• Looks like a Eurofighter Typhoon
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X