Page 263 of 273 FirstFirst ... 254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 4092

Thread: Aviation Quiz

  1. #3931
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 08
    Posts
    1,935
    Name an aircraft with bent/gull wings other than the Corsair or the Stuka.

  2. #3932
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,638
    Aichi B7A Grace
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  3. #3933
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    05 Sep 08
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Aichi B7A Grace
    That or the Loire-Nieuport LN.40, so you win. Take it up.

  4. #3934
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,638
    Name:  unknown.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  17.8 KB

    What is it...
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  5. #3935
    Military Professional JCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Apr 05
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Name:  unknown.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  17.8 KB

    What is it...
    M.39B Libellula! Here's the wiki page. It was to be a high-speed bomber designed to have maximum visibility for carrier landings.

    I first found it on Pinterest of all places!

  6. #3936
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,638
    All yours!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  7. #3937
    Military Professional JCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Apr 05
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    380
    Who was one of the greatest Japanese aces of WWII, but was killed while piloting a transport aircraft?

  8. #3938
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,638
    Hiroyoshi Nishizawa the Devil of Rabaul

    https://web.archive.org/web/20060526...wa/index1.html
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  9. #3939
    Military Professional JCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Apr 05
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Hiroyoshi Nishizawa the Devil of Rabaul

    https://web.archive.org/web/20060526...wa/index1.html
    That's correct! A Japanese Naval Aviation pilot, I do not believe he ever flew off aircraft carriers, but flew from land bases for the duration of the war until he was killed in the Philippines. As I young guy I read Samurai! by Martin Caidan and while there are concerns that the book has some fictionalized stories, I loved reading about Saburo Sakai and Nishizawa.

  10. #3940
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,638
    Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    That's correct! A Japanese Naval Aviation pilot, I do not believe he ever flew off aircraft carriers, but flew from land bases for the duration of the war until he was killed in the Philippines. As I young guy I read Samurai! by Martin Caidan and while there are concerns that the book has some fictionalized stories, I loved reading about Saburo Sakai and Nishizawa.

    I read the same book....and it's still on my book shelf!

    I also used to have a subscription to Aviation magazine and I recalled the article.

    Good question!

    I'll think of another shortly.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  11. #3941
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,638
    What was arguably the US Army's major contribution to the Space Program?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  12. #3942
    Military Professional JCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Apr 05
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    What was arguably the US Army's major contribution to the Space Program?
    Well, it looks like the US Army has actually done quite a lot. They developed the US first modern rocket, the Redstone, and used it to launch our first satellite, Explorer I. A modified Redstone launched Shepard into space on a sub-orbital flight. Plus it has contributed a lot of astronauts to the space program. Not sure if any of these are what you are thinking about?

  13. #3943
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,638
    Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    Well, it looks like the US Army has actually done quite a lot. They developed the US first modern rocket, the Redstone, and used it to launch our first satellite, Explorer I. A modified Redstone launched Shepard into space on a sub-orbital flight. Plus it has contributed a lot of astronauts to the space program. Not sure if any of these are what you are thinking about?
    I was referring more to this photo.

    Name:  EVU.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  65.4 KB

    BG Robert Howard was the first military member and second human to have an untethered EVA in space.

    He also worked on the design of the MMU.

    https://www.army.mil/article/30900/f...diers_in_space

    But you certainly have nailed others so sure, it's yours.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  14. #3944
    Military Professional JCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Apr 05
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    380
    Marine Corps aviation greatly expanded alongside US Naval aviation during WWI. What's the name of the airfield that USMC aviation used to train pilots in Florida?

  15. #3945
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    11,624
    Naval Air Station Pensacola?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 22 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 22 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Random Thoughts on the Mighty Hog - Part 2
    By Shipwreck in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 11 Dec 17,, 23:10
  2. Worlds Smallest Political Quiz...
    By nickshepAK in forum International Politics
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08 Apr 08,, 05:17
  3. Articles and links for the Military Professional
    By Officer of Engineers in forum The Staff College
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 20 Nov 06,, 15:28

Tags for this Thread

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •