• Show
Clear All

• ???
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
      ???
      [ATTACH]38754[/ATTACH]
      It's variously described as being either something out of the recent remake of the movie Red Dawn, which I didn't see, and/or a Soviet action film of the 1980s where clearly our Coastal Guardians were handed a mission they do not presently have. The MI-24 in USCG livery is a case of very vivid imagination either way.

Comment

• I understand it to be from an old Russian action movie. I do like the thought of "We'll rescue you -- whether you like it or not!" :)

Your question.

Comment

• OK, this famous US naval aviator was also an accomplished author and screenwriter. Name him, at least two of his contributions to aviation and aerial combat; and his most famous screenplay, and the real name of the officer portrayed in the resulting movie. That may, or may not, keep people busy. :pop:

Comment

• Thread been dead for over a month.

New Question

How many standard Litters could the AD-5 versions of the Skyraider carry? How many Stokes baskets?

Comment

• Just to clarify. here are pictures of the AD-5 better known as the A-1E

Attached Files

Comment

• Five
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Close but no

Comment

• The answer is 4 standard litters or 1 stokes basket. There was a cargo hoist that was attached to the wing used to load the litters

Comment

• My answer was total anal extraction.

Fire away Gunny!!!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Its a naval Aviation question.

Only once in modern history has an aircraft made a bow on , downwind approach landing on a US aircraft carrier.

When? , what ship? and what type of aircraft?

Comment

• I'll answer when to narrow it down.

This event happened in 1977

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            Its a naval Aviation question.

Only once in modern history has an aircraft made a bow on , downwind approach landing on a US aircraft carrier.

When? , what ship? and what type of aircraft?
                            The only fixed wing in 1977 that could perform such a landing would be an AV-8 and since they were retiring them an Essex class carrier. I Googled It was a Midway Class.

"Another first was racked up by USS FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT when, on 4 October 1976, the first overseas operational commitment on a carrier for the AV-8A Harrier began when VMA-231 embarked aboard for a Sixth Fleet deployment. On 13 January 1977, two other Harriers made bow-on approaches and landing aboard the carrier, marking the first time a fixed wing aircraft had made a bow-on, downwind landing aboard a carrier at sea."

Gun Grape I got nothing, while your questions are PDG you've got the floor.

Comment

• That is correct.

The floor is open

Comment

• This is probably an easy one for some of you, but here goes: what privately-owned aircraft still holds the official low-level (<100m) speed record for an air-breathing aircraft set in 1977?

What aircraft, and who was the pilot?
                                Last edited by Stitch; 11 Aug 15,, 05:11. Reason: Puncuation
                                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                                X