Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stitch was closest: According to the IWM, London this was the first aerial bomb ever dropped on England. It is a Termite bomb (Goldschmidt reaction) that was dropped by Zeppelin LZ38 on No 16 Alkham Street, Stoke Newington, on 31 May 1915. They would wrap the bomb in tared rope, below is a pic of another type with most of the rope intact.

Stitch your Question!

Attached Files
    Craig Johnson

Comment

• Not trying to step in the middle of the line, but I was asked a question yesterday that I couldn't answer. And I still havent found an answer yet.

The person who asked me the question was in the 82nd Airborne and served in Viet Nam. That reminded me that my father was also in the 82nd and parachuted into Normandy on D-Day and later into Holland in Operation Market Garden. We always joked that you had to be crazy to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

That led to the question: "Who, and when, was the first person to ever jump out of a perfectly good airplane and open a parachute to land safely". Never mind the French brothers who sort of invented the parachute and jump off the roof of a tall building. Nor does releasing oneself from a hot air or helium filled balloon count as that was done mostly at Carnivals. We want to know who jumped out of an AIRPLANE that was in no danger of crashing and the pilot had complete control while this other guy decided to jump out (thus leading to our AirBorne divisions).
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• In 1911 Grant Morton made a jump while using a parachute to his chest. In 1912 CPT Albert Berry made the first modern backpack parachute static line jump in ST Louis.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          In 1911 Grant Morton made a jump while using a parachute to his chest. In 1912 CPT Albert Berry made the first modern backpack parachute static line jump in ST Louis.
          Thank you very much. With those names I will probably be able to pick up what kinds of airplanes they were in -- or out -- er-- jumped from.

Comment

• Hey, I haven't forgotten about this thread! I'm just trying to figure out a REALLY good question for y'all; should have it by tomorrow (Monday).
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
              Thank you very much. With those names I will probably be able to pick up what kinds of airplanes they were in -- or out -- er-- jumped from.
              Rusty, one was a Wright Flyer. Beyond that I ain't sure.

Try the Google.
              Mark Twain

Comment

Rusty, one was a Wright Flyer. Beyond that I ain't sure.

Try the Google.
                I looked them up. Grant Morton (supposedly) jumped from a Wright Model B biplane in 1911. And it was more of a sky diving "stunt" than a practical test.

However, other research indicates he didn't make that jump until late 1912. On March 1 of 1912 was when US Army Captain Albert Berry made a static cord jump from a Benoist pusher prop biplane. Also, he didn't have a back pack chute. The chute was stuffed into a cannister underneath the plane (and below the propeller blades). When Berry jumped his static cord pulled the chute out of the cannister. But according to the pilot (Tony Jannus), Berry fell over 150 feet until his chute was fully open. As I said, Berry didn't use a back pack chute but was really in a trapeze bar swing.

Even my grandfather did a "jump" like that from a tethered balloon when he worked in a circus for a little while (the regular stunt jumper came in drunk so the circus owner asked my grandfather (a teen ager then) to make the jump.

Still circus stunt shows as far as I'm concerned. So who make the first practical harness and when was the first military jump of a squad (or more) of paratroopers and was it for practice in case of war or while in training for a real war?

Comment

• Okay Rusty. Beats me.

All I know is I put my knees in the breeze and ass in the blast a bunch of times and I thank whoever went first. And I thank the Riggers even more!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Okay Rusty. Beats me.

All I know is I put my knees in the breeze and ass in the blast a bunch of times and I thank whoever went first. And I thank the Riggers even more!
                    God bless a good rigger!

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                      Still circus stunt shows as far as I'm concerned. So who make the first practical harness and when was the first military jump of a squad (or more) of paratroopers and was it for practice in case of war or while in training for a real war?
                      How about 2 Aug 1930. The Russians conducted the first mil jump and were the leaders in airborne troops in the 1930s
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        How about 2 Aug 1930. The Russians conducted the first mil jump and were the leaders in airborne troops in the 1930s[ATTACH]36081[/ATTACH]
                        "Omgomgomg, get them off me!!!"

Comment

• Just to add...

Italians first made Military school of Parachuting in Castel Benito, Libya in 1938.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• What is this thing, and what was it used for?

Attached Files
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• I forget the designation - D-21 drone I think, launched off the SR-71 for recon purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by GGTharos View Post
                                I forget the designation - D-21 drone I think, launched off the SR-71 for recon purposes.
                                Correct!

Lockheed D-21 drone with a Marquardt ramjet; top speed M3.35 at 95,000'. Originally designed to spy on China's nuclear facilities after being launched from an M-21 "mother-ship" (a modified Lockheed A-12). After three successful launches from the M-21, on the fourth launch the ramjet "unstarted" and took out the vertical stabilizers on the M-21, resulting in the destruction of both vehicles. After that, they were only launched from B-52's using a booster rocket. Progarm was terminated in 1971.

You're up, GG!

Comment

Working...
                                X