• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
    Virgil I. Grissom
    No.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levsha View Post
      No.
      Joe Walker twice flew an X-15 above the FAI defined limits of the upper atmosphere. (100 kilometers, well above the NASA 50 mile or 80 Km limit.) Walker's first and second flights were in 1963.

Comment

My question?

Ok. Who was the first American astronaut to fly in outer space twice??
        He would have been the first to fly in outer space three times as well. Sadly, he died during a practice exercise for the Apollo 1 mission.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

No.
          Doesn't there have to be at least one orbit to count as spaceflight?
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            Not according to the FAI. They define space flight as being above 100 kilometers approximately 60 miles. According to NASA space flight is above 50 miles. The atmosphere does not have a true edge. It varies and even above what we call atmosphere, there are stray molecules of nitrogen, hydrogen and even oxygen floating about. The FAI definition definitey gets above most of the stray molecules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              John Glenn.

I'll try..Jim McDivitt

Comment

• Glenn only made one flight
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by wabpilot View Post
                  Joe Walker twice flew an X-15 above the FAI defined limits of the upper atmosphere. (100 kilometers, well above the NASA 50 mile or 80 Km limit.) Walker's first and second flights were in 1963.
                  Joe Walker was the very man I had in mind, and in fact he was the world's first astronaut to do the 'double', not just the first American.

But I should think that nearly all X-15 flights that flew above 110,000 feet could be considered as 'space flights' as regards actually advancing the development of space craft technologies - you need spacecraft spec life support systems at that altitude, along with a system of attitude control thrusters. The fact of the matter is, the Americans already had vast experience in the attitude adjustment of spacecraft flying in the vacuum of space (hydrogen peroxide thrusters), a long time before the Mercury and Vostok "man in a can" programmes...
                  Last edited by Levsha; 31 Jan 08,, 19:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Glenn only made one flight
                    Sorry, meant to say the first American to orbit the Earth

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                      Sorry, meant to say the first American to orbit the Earth

Okay BTW, hope I didn't appear abrupt
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Hmm, I'll try to answer something so that I can ask something about Soviet aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Glenn only made one flight
                          Glen did 2. One as a Mercury Astronaut and the second on the Space Shuttle in 1998.

That "Mig Mad Marine" is one of my childhood heros:)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            Glen did 2. One as a Mercury Astronaut and the second on the Space Shuttle in 1998.

That "Mig Mad Marine" is one of my childhood heros:)
                            I sit corrected.

How could I forget....I was thinking of the early 60s but you are spot on.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Wait wait wait ... IS there someone ... some first Lunatic that throtled up a C-130 from a carrier!? My god! was he Pissed? Better yet, did he live?

Comment

• Navy Lt.(Adm) James H. Flatley III. flying a USMC KC-130 aboard the Forrestal

Survived and earned the DFC for the effort.

And he wasn't a trash hauler by trade. A fighter pilot and recent Test Pilot graduate.

But I believe its WabPilot's turn to ask a question.
                                Last edited by Gun Grape; 01 Feb 08,, 05:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X