Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devious indeed Glyn. This took me a few hours of digging and I learned quite a bit in the process. Hope I'm right:

The first military use of observation balloons was during the French Revolutionary Wars, the very first time during the Battle of Fleurus (1794):

battle of Fleurus: Information and Much More from Answers.com

If by "military flight," you mean powered flight rather than lighter than air flight, the Italians and Americans run a tight race and I'll have to dig a little more.

I hit the road Tuesday as well for a week, so you'll all be glad that geeks such as Glyn and I will be absent for a while.

Cheers,

Bill
    Last edited by GAU-8; 28 Jan 08,, 06:02.

Comment

• You are right, GAU-8 :) .
      To expand a little, the Compagne d'Aerostiers with their single baloon (l'Entreprenant) were at the siege of Charlois June 12th - 25th June 1794 and the battle of Fleurus that followed. The unit was disbanded by Napoleon in 1799. Not his cleverest move. If he had air observation reports he may have avoided losing the battle of Waterloo!
      Your question, sir.
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• Who holds the record for flying the most combat missions flown by a pilot in any war?

Comment

• Hans Rudel, on Stukas in WW2.

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
            Hans Rudel, on Stukas in WW2.
            Well done Sir. Your Question.

"Most combat missions flown by a pilot in any war. Captain Hans-Ulrich Rudel of Germany flew 2,530 combat missions during WWII while flying a JU-87 Stuka dive bomber. He survived the war. "

Comment

• Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
              Well done Sir. Your Question.

"Most combat missions flown by a pilot in any war. Captain Hans-Ulrich Rudel of Germany flew 2,530 combat missions during WWII while flying a JU-87 Stuka dive bomber. He survived the war. "
              I read his book many years ago, and it greatly impressed me. The first photo was of him as a shy young Corporal pilot in the Spanish civil war, and the last was at the end when he was Commander in Chief Dive Bomber forces. Iirc he lost a limb (or more?) and an eye. What a man. They even had to invent medals for him! I can't see his record ever being beaten.
              As I will be away also, perhaps Entropy might like to ask the next question.

Comment

• Glyn,

Thanks for the book endorsement. I heard about a great book by a Stuka pilot years ago when I was still in the A-10. I've always wanted to read it but didn't know the name or author. This must be the one. I looked it up on Amazon and found it. It's called "Stuka Pilot." If my library doesn't have it, I'll get it from Amazon.

See you guys next week. I'm off to do a little flying for five days. Entropy, let's hear some more Soviet aircraft questions.

Ta,

Bill

Comment

• It looks like all the Aviation Experts are deserting the sinking ship:)) see you all when you return.

Comment

• What propeller driven twin-engined civilian airplane has (or still is) serving as a military plane in 31 countries including during the Viet Nam War.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Would it be the Cessna 310??

I forget its US military designation, (something with a 3 in it I think)
                      but if I do recall it had the nickname "Blue canoe"?

Or is it the Cessna 337 pusher-puller?

Comment

• Originally posted by Levsha View Post
                        Would it be the Cessna 310??

I forget its US military designation, (something with a 3 in it I think)
                        but if I do recall it had the nickname "Blue canoe"?

Or is it the Cessna 337 pusher-puller?
                        Well, make up your mind. It is one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                          Well, make up your mind. It is one of them.
                          Well Ok, I'll go for the Cessna O-2 Sky master (C337), the star from the movie 'BAT-21'

The C310 was known as the U-3 in the US military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levsha View Post
                            Well Ok, I'll go for the Cessna O-2 Sky master (C337), the star from the movie 'BAT-21'

The C310 was known as the U-3 in the US military.
                            NOW you got it. As a military plane susceptible to flying over combat zones (often as a suppression machinegun plane) if one engine got knocked out it was easy to fly on the other as they were both in-line. A plane with engines on opposite wings is hard to fly on one because of the extreme yaw the remaining engine imparts on the craft.

Your question.

Comment

• My question?

Ok. Who was the first American astronaut to fly in outer space twice??

Comment

• Virgil I. Grissom

Comment

Working...
                                X