X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
    Correct Sir.

Your question.
    Can't think of one off-hand Why not pose another?
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• I have plenty of questions about obscure Soviet aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
        I have plenty of questions about obscure Soviet aircraft.
        I'm sure GAU-8 would let you take his place, but if they are dreary we shall pass it to a more worthy candidate!:)

Comment

You are an allied fighter pilot working with the Pacific Air Command circa 1990's--Korean theater of operations. What do these underlined terms mean?

The balloon goes up.

Your gorilla just pushed from the anchor at angels 30. AWACS informs that the mission will go as fragged. As you approach the FEBA, your leader calls for chattermark.

Questions:

1. What is going on here?

2. What enemy actions made your leader call for chattermark?
          Okay, I know a couple of these . . . .

"Balloon goes up" means war has started, basically, and hostilities have begun. "Angels 30" means 30,000 feet. "As fragged" means "as briefed" or "as assigned". "FEBA" means Forward Edge of Battle Area. That's all I know . . .
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            Okay, I know a couple of these . . . .

"Balloon goes up" means war has started, basically, and hostilities have begun. "Angels 30" means 30,000 feet. "As fragged" means "as briefed" or "as assigned". "FEBA" means Forward Edge of Battle Area. That's all I know . . .
            It's already been posted.."chatterbox" is radio silence...the rest is smack on!!

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
              I have plenty of questions about obscure Soviet aircraft.
              Glyn holds the hammer. His call.

If he says it's OK, go. Do it before Glyn cooks up another brain twister.

Obscure Soviet aircraft? I'm game. Just give us enough to work with.

Comment

Glyn holds the hammer. His call.

If he says it's OK, go. Do it before Glyn cooks up another brain twister.

Obscure Soviet aircraft? I'm game. Just give us enough to work with.
                Entropy, pose your question fairly soon, or GAU-8 gets his chance. I expect he will have thought up something to spring on us by now.

Comment

• Ok.

The Famous Il-2 attack aircraft was very useful for the Soviet Army during WWII. It was used in all roles from tank killer to even bomber killer (the Il-3 version with the rear gunner removed).
                  But the attack aircraft concept wasn't new for the USSR. Sturmovik aircraft did exist long before the Il-2.

But the Il-2 had something revolutionary about its construction, something that previous armored attack aircraft did not have. Does anyone know what was so new about the Il-2 (and its prototype) ?

Comment

• I've heard it had a continuous armored "backbone" that was integral to the structure. Not only did it serve as armor but it was part of the aircraft's structure. Sorry for not using engineering terms. I'm the product of a liberal arts education.

Comment

I've heard it had a continuous armored "backbone" that was integral to the structure. Not only did it serve as armor but it was part of the aircraft's structure. Sorry for not using engineering terms. I'm the product of a liberal arts education.
                      Liberal arts or not,

It's the correct answer!

Comment

• I hope you get the chance to see the Flight Manual for the Il-2. It has coloured artwork and is laid out like a piece of 'programmed learning' that we thought was new in the 1960s. The Soviets beat us by 20 years! Post war Soviet manuals are the most dreary things imaginable, but in the 1940s they were forward thinking.

Comment

• Your turn GAU-8:)

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            It's already been posted.."chatterbox" is radio silence...the rest is smack on!!
                            Not necessarily, it actually means to perform a prebriefed procedure...like change to a backup freq, or whatever the plan calls for. If it were up to me, I'd play some old school Metallica or Black Sabbath or something on that freq while switching operations to another.

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
                              Your turn GAU-8:)
                              Sorry for the delay. Could we have another about Soviet aircraft Entropy?

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Could we have another about Soviet aircraft Entropy?
                                I'll be away for a week starting next Tuesday.
                                Can I leave this one?:
                                What and where was the first military manned flight?
                                What and where was its first battle use?
                                I hope that's sufficiently devious!:))

Comment

Working...
                                X