X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
    Could it be the "T-Cat"
    Oh, before the F7F :) (which was never fully carrier qualified )
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
      Oh, before the F7F :) (which was never fully carrier qualified )
      Yes. Well before:

Cutiss biplane--Cut and paste from below web site: On January 18, 1911, in San Francisco bay, Eugene Ely landed on a wooden deck built over the stern of the USS Pennsylvania,. His arresting gear, to shorten the landing, consisted of sand filled sea bags attached to ropes stretched across this deck with the ropes raised from the deck by longitudinal timbers. Hooks to catch the ropes were attached to the plane. This arrangement is surprisingly close to later aircraft carrier arresting gear.

Picture and related story:
      First landing on a ship -- Glenn Curtiss Historical Society

Good one Glyn
      Last edited by GAU-8; 25 Jan 08,, 00:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
        Yes. Well before:

Cutiss biplane--Cut and paste from below web site: On January 18, 1911, in San Francisco bay, Eugene Ely landed on a wooden deck built over the stern of the USS Pennsylvania,. His arresting gear, to shorten the landing, consisted of sand filled sea bags attached to ropes stretched across this deck with the ropes raised from the deck by longitudinal timbers. Hooks to catch the ropes were attached to the plane. This arrangement is surprisingly close to later aircraft carrier arresting gear.

Good one Glyn
        Well dear heart, although you will hate me for it I must disbar your answer The Pennsylvania was not an aircraft carrier! Good try though:)
        The aircraft I have in mind landed on a real carrier.

Comment

Yes. Well before:

Good one Glyn
          Looking at the picture, I thought to myself "I hope he was smart enough to wear a life jacket as well. Then I read the rest of the caption:

During a brief lunch with the ships officers, the arresting ropes and sand bags were removed and his plane was turned around. The pictures show that Ely was wearing motorcycle inner tubes around his waist and across his chest as a makeshift life preserver. His successfully took off and returned to land in the Presidio area of San Francisco
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Take a Deep Breath glyn

Originally posted by glyn View Post
            Just what are you disputing about in my answer to BadKharma? I merely pointed out that it was not the first all metal aircraft. It may well have been the first all metal aircraft that operated from US Navy carriers. I'm not sure of the connection between the neccesity of wheel brakes with the materials used in airframe construction so I would appreciate clarification on that. I'm sure the introduction of brakes made for safer operation of the aircraft on the flight deck whatever materials were used in its construction.:)

I was disputing nothing
            I was providing additional information about what BadKharma said and that he ws correct in that it was the first all metal US Navy carrier aircraft. Nothing more than what I said. The weight of the aircraft, partially because of its all metal construction, was one of the considerations why the Douglas engineers realized they needed brakes.

Just providing a little more info for those who did not know...thought that was one of the missions of WAB.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
              Thanks GAU-8 I wasnt aware of that aircraft. I would have guessed the FH-1 Phantom.
              Any time partner. Hope y'all are staying warm up there in Milwaukee. The Fireball was pretty neat. She wouldn't have had a chance of development outside of a major war effort. You might be interested in this web site about the Fireball:
              FR Fireball Info

Now back to Glyn's question. I've got a good line on getting it but I need help from you Navy pukes out there. The Langley was the first U.S. carrier right? Were there any before her? I've almost got this one.

Bill
              Last edited by GAU-8; 25 Jan 08,, 07:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
                Well dear heart, although you will hate me for it I must disbar your answer The Pennsylvania was not an aircraft carrier! Good try though:)
                The aircraft I have in mind landed on a real carrier.
                I stand corrected Sir:

"1st Airplane flown to a ship - Jan 10, 1911 - Eugene Ely, in Curtiss Albany Flyer, landed on a platform on USS Pennsylvania moored at San Francisco Bay."

I'll narrow it down to "proper carriers."

Cheers,

Bill
                Last edited by GAU-8; 25 Jan 08,, 07:37.

Comment

• [QUOTE=GAU-8;452092]

Now back to Glyn's question. I've got a good line on getting it but I need help from you Navy pukes out there. The Langley was the first U.S. carrier right? Were there any before her? I've almost got this one.

Bill

Bill, fellow aeronaut, don't worry about the carriers name.:) I didn't ask fror that (mainly because I don't myself know! ) Just the aircraft type will do. And because it's me asking the question you know it is likely to be somewhat obscure!

Comment

• Destroyer

Comment

• Northrop BT-1:

General Aviation News

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                        Destroyer
                        If you mean the Douglas BTD-1 Dave, No. :)

Comment

Northrop BT-1:

General Aviation News
                          Exactly right! Well done.:) Your turn for an arcane question!

Comment

• That was a tough one Glyn. I learned a lot of other interesting things digging that one out.

OK, next question:

So highly regarded was this fighter that the Treaty of Versailles specifically mentioned that these aircraft were to be turned over to the Allies. Canada, Britain, and Australia received some; a few were preserved in museums, the remainder scrapped. European countries like Hungary, Netherlands, Lithuania, and Latvia used them for their air forces through the 1920's.

Name the aircraft.

Comment

That was a tough one Glyn. I learned a lot of other interesting things digging that one out.

OK, next question:

So highly regarded was this fighter that the Treaty of Versailles specifically mentioned that these aircraft were to be turned over to the Allies. Canada, Britain, and Australia received some; a few were preserved in museums, the remainder scrapped. European countries like Hungary, Netherlands, Lithuania, and Latvia used them for their air forces through the 1920's.

Name the aircraft.
                              Fokker D-7

Comment

• Correct Sir.

Your question.

Comment

Working...
                                X