Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBD Devastator it was also the first all metal monoplane. The way the question was originally worded had me stumped.
    Last edited by BadKharma; 24 Jan 08,, 01:32.

Comment

• The Devastator is the right answer.
      It was not however the first all metal monoplane!
      Your question :)
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• The Devastator was the US Navy's first all metal carrier aircraft....hence the need for brakes...just a clarification of what BadKharma said.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          The Devastator was the US Navy's first all metal carrier aircraft....hence the need for brakes...just a clarification of what BadKharma said.
          Just what are you disputing about in my answer to BadKharma? I merely pointed out that it was not the first all metal aircraft. It may well have been the first all metal aircraft that operated from US Navy carriers. I'm not sure of the connection between the neccesity of wheel brakes with the materials used in airframe construction so I would appreciate clarification on that. I'm sure the introduction of brakes made for safer operation of the aircraft on the flight deck whatever materials were used in its construction.:)

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
            The Devastator is the right answer.
            It was not however the first all metal monoplane!
            Your question :)
            Russia did have a full duralumin monoplane anno 1924.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              The Devastator was the US Navy's first all metal carrier aircraft....hence the need for brakes...just a clarification of what BadKharma said.
              Yes I should have been more specific. Some other firsts for the TBD-1 the first with a totally enclosed cockpit, the first with hydraulically folding wings.
              Amazing how such an advanced aircraft when it was first introduced became outdated so quickly.

What is the largest aircraft to ever land and take-off from an aircraft carrier?
              Last edited by BadKharma; 24 Jan 08,, 19:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
                Yes I should have been more specific.

What is the largest aircraft to ever land and take-off from an aircraft carrier?
                C-130 Hercules.

Comment

• Unless you mean a lighter than air craft whose dimensions beat the C-130 by a country mile!:)

Comment

C-130 Hercules.
                    You are correct that was really fast. BTW that pilot received the navy cross also.
                    That makes it your question.
                    Last edited by BadKharma; 24 Jan 08,, 19:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      Russia did have a full duralumin monoplane anno 1924.
                      I don't doubt it. The Junkers J 1 of 1915 was the worlds first airworthy (internal) all metal monoplane. The metal was iron! The J 3 was made in light metal.
                      The Short Silver Streak in England (1920) is generally regarded as the worlds first all aluminium (and duralumin) aircraft. Even the moveable surfaces were metal.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
                        You are correct that was really fast. BTW that pilot received the navy cross also.
                        That makes it your question.
                        What was the first aircraft fitted with tricycle (nosewheel) undercarriage to land on an American carrier?

Comment

What was the first aircraft fitted with tricycle (nosewheel) undercarriage to land on an American carrier?
                          P-39?

I know carriers delivered some P-39s but I don't know if they were hoisted aboard or flew aboard. If not a P-39, I'd say the Ryan FR-1 Fireball. It hit (pardon the pun) the fleet in '44-'45.

Comment

• Thanks GAU-8 I wasnt aware of that aircraft. I would have guessed the FH-1 Phantom.
                            Last edited by BadKharma; 24 Jan 08,, 23:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
                              P-39?

I know carriers delivered some P-39s but I don't know if they were hoisted aboard or flew aboard. If not a P-39, I'd say the Ryan FR-1 Fireball. It hit (pardon the pun) the fleet in '44-'45.
                              Not the P-39 or the FR-1.:)
                              It's a pity the US Navy didn't operate the Fireball longer, or adopt the F2R-1 turboprop development. I think those types were fascinating.

Comment

• Could it be the "T-Cat"
                                test operations of an F7F-1 on board Shangri-La (CV 38) in November 1944

Comment

Working...
                                X