This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
    Rusty' what do you think is the going rate for just one of these barrels?
    The current price for the 15 barrels is 525k making the cost for 1 barrel a cool 35k...shipping and handling extra.
    I think the stated demilitarization for these is cutting into pieces 6-8 feet long....phew...what a job.

Comment

• Dear Forum Members,

According to the info I got, there is a plan to scrap all the reserve US Navy's 16-inch battleship guns. The link (with photos) is:

0001 - Uncategorized at Government Liquidation

It seems quite strange to me. Accordingly to the published info I could find, the US Congress passed Pub.L. 109-163, the National Defense Authorization Act 2006, requiring that - despite being formally striken from the Naval Vessel Register - at least two US battleships ("Iowa" and "Wisconsin" ) anyway must still be kept and maintained in a state of readiness should they ever be needed again; please see the details for example here:

USS Iowa (BB-61) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Particularly, it says:

- Congress has ordered that the following measures be implemented to ensure that, if need be, Iowa can be returned to active duty:

- USS Iowa and USS Wisconsin must not be altered in any way that would impair her military utility;

- The battleships must be preserved in their present condition through the continued use of cathodic protection, dehumidification systems, and any other preservation methods as needed;

- Spare parts and unique equipment such as the 16-inch gun barrels and projectiles must be preserved in adequate numbers to support [them], if reactivated; (!!!...)

- The Navy must prepare plans for the rapid reactivation of Iowa should she be returned to the Navy in the event of a national emergency.

Same about the USS Wisconsin BB-64, please see:

USS Wisconsin (BB-64) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ;

So I just wonder isn't this process of selling/destroying the guns a direct violation of the abovementioned Congressional act?...

Comment

• Well...the 15 barrels I mentioned upstream in the thread are gone. There were some in Virginia that are gone. Who knows if any more are in storage?

Comment

• All I got was this handout ......

Friends went to visit Pearl Harbor and they brought this handout back.
          The most recent handout / tourguide for the USS Missouri is attached.
          ENJOY !

DD is this similar to NJ/s tour?
          Attached Files

Comment

• I would have to study it but the New Jersey allows you from the second (02) deck below the main deck all the way up to the 05 level which are the CIWS and SRBOC decks and pretty much all spaces in between with exception to certain areas ofcoarse.

New Jersey has added another tour which will be opened for a sneak preview during "The Battleship Blast" coming up very shortly on June 25th. They will unveil all the work they have been doing for the last few months. Should be pretty good from what I see but they are still working on other features to go along with this new tour. When they get it perfected it will be unlike any other BB tour out there.;)
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 Jun 11,, 22:59.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Old Pictures od BB 64 - Taken on her last cruise in 1991

Attached Files
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Never alone

The USN didn't just send a battleship - it went with other ships
                Attached Files
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

• aft steering

Attached Files

Comment

• This is a link to New Jerseys:

http://www.bb62museum.org/images/BBNJ23.JPG

http://www.bb62museum.org/images/BBNJ24.JPG

I'm thinking your photos are Emergency steering if not mistaken.
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 19 Jun 11,, 20:30.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      This is a link to New Jerseys:

http://www.bb62museum.org/images/BBNJ23.JPG

http://www.bb62museum.org/images/BBNJ24.JPG

I'm thinking your photos are Emergency steering if not mistaken.
                      Yes, you are correct, sorry. Here I am at the wheel.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                        The USN didn't just send a battleship - it went with other ships
                        [ATTACH]25457[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25458[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25459[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25460[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25461[/ATTACH]
                        the CG is the USS San Jacinto that's moored next to the USS Wisconsin in your photos.. and your right, they didn't send a BB out alone, (unless it was doing something like transiting between Long Beach and Hawaii or San Diego)

Comment

• Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
                          the CG is the USS San Jacinto that's moored next to the USS Wisconsin in your photos.. and your right, they didn't send a BB out alone, (unless it was doing something like transiting between Long Beach and Hawaii or San Diego)
                          Yes indeed. There were two when I arrived, I'll try to scan more pictures. The outer one left first, CG 60- USS Normany, it was quite a sight! she powered up her turbines and backed up fast - with her turbines screaming, bow almost out of the water, then turned on a dime, bow high, the big rooster tail sprayed the Wiskie's fantail pretty good - I am pretty sure it was done this way to impress the onlookers - it certainly did. Those Tico CG's were/are hotrods.
                          Last edited by USSWisconsin; 20 Jun 11,, 16:14.

Comment

• more

The Bridge

5" director

my bunk

steering in pilot house

full power on 4 boilers
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by USSWisconsin; 20 Jun 11,, 16:34.

Comment

• and some more

Last long cruise of BB 64 New York to Norfolk (there was another one day 5" and 20mm gunnery demo cruise off Norfolk)

The Ship's Silver - a fitting treasure for a fine ship

Conning tower door

tug at Norfolk

pulling into her berth at Norfolk

CG 60 - USS Normandy - in New York - getting ready for her impressive powerup and reverse power turn into the channel
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by USSWisconsin; 21 Jun 11,, 19:56.

Comment

• more BB64 -last of the ones I dug up this past weekend

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X