American Civil War Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    James Longstreet, thanks entirely to Michael Shaara and my high school lit teacher.

David Deptula?
    The very same. Our commander, Lt Col Foglesong (son of the now-retired four-star General Foglesong) blew him away with the unit brief that detailed the 13th's accomplishments for '07. He's the head intel bubba for the USAF, and the ISR god for the entire world. But he was simply blown away by the record of glory the unit ammassed this year.

And I just knew that Mosby would be on your list :))
    That's a true-life legend in combat leadership, if ever there was one.

Comment

Buford, Reynolds, & Longstreet

I really admire all three. Buford and Reynolds didn't win Gettysburg but they kept the Union from losing by their recognition of the key terrain and their willingness to fight for it's possession and defense.

Equally, Longstreet's advice to Lee harkens of Guderian's to Hitler when discussing Kursk-

"In that case your reaction to the problem is the correct one. Leave it alone!"

A different story, perhaps, had Lee done so.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I really admire all three. Buford and Reynolds didn't win Gettysburg but they kept the Union from losing by their recognition of the key terrain and their willingness to fight for it's possession and defense.

As Lee Corso would say...Not so fast, my friend.

The guy who recieves no credit for picking the decisive (as opposed to key) terrain for the Union at Gettysburg was............O. O. Howard!

Yes, contrary to most, I view O. O. Howard as the forgotten savior of Gettysburg. Remember, he left a full division as well as the XI Corps artillery on Cemetary Hill when he moved through Gettysburg. This gave the Union an anchor point for the eventual defense.

Buford fought a traditional cavalry holding action. Doubleday (Reynolds didn't live long enough to get credit) and Hancock pushed the infantry into line in a classic meeting engagement/hasty attack.
        Howard pushed 2 divisions forward and Barlow exceeded his orders which caused the Union right to crumble. But Howard had recognized the importance of the ridge and had put von Steinwehr's division in reserve on Cemetary Hill. This became the anchor on which Hancock built the defense line during the evening of 1 July 63.

Not great but good enough!
        Last edited by Albany Rifles; 31 Dec 07,, 03:44.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

As I resurrect this thread (and I better not see any damn dead kittens or zombie SWNBN's showing up, dammit!) and wanted to add a few more names as I have continued my research over the past 6 1/2 years

I would like to add the following:

Gordon Granger

It was his troops under John Wood and Phil Sheridan (yes, that Sheridan) which stormed Missionary Ridge at Chattanooga.

He also had much to do with the founding of "Juneteenth" by freed African-American slaves.

Gordon Granger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frank Blair

A politician who became a damn fine general, rising to command a corps in the Atlanta and Carolinas Campaigns. He stood by his convictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_P._Blair,_Jr.

John Palmer

Another politician who did well. He rose to command Thomas' 14th Corps. And his life as a pre & post war politician is a marvel.

John M. Palmer (politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ben Cheatham

Despite his error at Spring Hill he still was a fine division and corps commander.

Benjamin F. Cheatham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

William Hardee

The prewar drill master whose instructions both armies followed. He toiled under a series of poor commanders and was an excellent corps commander.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X