Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dec.7th 66 Years ago today.

Dec. 7th 1941.

Stopped for tea with pop this morning and he still remembers like yesterday reporting for duty at 15 years old to Brooklyn NY Naval yard. Six months later he called the Pacific his home for next 4 years. Some of his neighborhood friends as young as 13 as well. The greatest generation now is at minimum 79 years of age. What a generation.!

For our troops that answered the call both then and now.

YouTube - Red White and Blue, Lynyrd Skynyrd: Military Tribute
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Dec 07,, 16:44.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Indeed. Including those who helped in the liberation of Europe and keeping Britain going via Lend-Lease.

* Salutes

Comment

Though rain is expected today, I still hoisted the Stars and Stripes above my home this morning.

We shall never forget.

I worked with a number of Pearl Harbor survivors. One of them, Dick Blanchard, was only about 2 or 3 years older than me and was on his way to Sunday School that morning (his father was in the Navy and they lived in Military housing at Ewa MCAS). He told of how a Japanese Zero flew over his head and cut a Marine in two in front of him with its machine guns.

In researching the Pearl Harbor casualty list, the Marine Dick saw killed was PFC Edward Stephen Lawrence. PFC Lawrence was on standard sentry duty and cut down by the opening shots of the attack and never had a chance to display any action worth a write-up in the logs. I think the Naval Historical Center should correct this omission.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
      X