Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming - Kangaroo farts could ease global warming

The Daily Telegraph:

AUSTRALIAN scientists are trying to give kangaroo-style stomachs to cattle and sheep in a bid to cut the emission of greenhouse gases blamed for global warming, researchers sayThanks to special bacteria in their stomachs, kangaroo flatulence contains no methane and scientists want to transfer that bacteria to cattle and sheep who emit large quantities of the harmful gas.

While the usual image of greenhouse gas pollution is a billowing smokestack pushing out carbon dioxide, livestock passing wind contribute a surprisingly high percentage of total emissions in some countries.

"Fourteen per cent of emissions from all sources in Australia is from enteric methane from cattle and sheep,'' said Athol Klieve, a senior research scientist with the Queensland Government.

"And if you look at another country such as New Zealand, which has got a much higher agricultural base, they're actually up around 50 per cent,'' he said.

Researchers say the bacteria also makes the digestive process much more efficient and could potentially save millions of dollars in feed costs for farmers.

"Not only would they not produce the methane, they would actually get something like 10 to 15 per cent more energy out of the feed they are eating,'' said Mr Klieve.

Even farmers who laugh at the idea of environmentally friendly kangaroo farts say that's nothing to joke about, particularly given the devastating drought Australia is suffering.

"In a tight year like a drought situation, 15 per cent would be a considerable sum,'' said farmer Michael Mitton.

But it will take researchers at least three years to isolate the bacteria, before they can even start to develop a way of transferring it to cattle and sheep.

Another group of scientists, meanwhile, has suggested Australians should farm fewer cattle and sheep and just eat more kangaroos.

The idea is controversial, but about 20 per cent of health-conscious Australians are believed to eat the national symbol already.

"It's low in fat, it's got high protein levels it's very clean in the sense that basically it's the ultimate free range animal,'' said Peter Ampt of the University of New South Wales's institute of environmental studies.

"It doesn't get drenched, it doesn't get vaccinated, it utilises food right across the landscape, it moves around to where the food is good, so yes, it's a good food.''

It might take a while for kangaroos to become popular barbecue fare, but with concern over global warming growing in the world's driest inhabited continent, Australians could soon be ready to try almost anything to cut emissions.

New Ideas from OZZ ... well we (Human) should also get "The kangaroo-style stomachs" -- Happy farting
    Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts

So should we all hold in our farts to reduce emissions?

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
      So should we all hold in our farts to reduce emissions?
      Planet Earth thanks you for your efforts.:)
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I hope they fail with their genetics. Better to just farm more kangaroos (and deer and fish and rabbits). I do not trust genetic manipulation and I think we dont understand half enough about biology to do this sort of thing without consequence.

Comment

my friend should do it to his french bulldog, when this dog farts, everyone runs, the worst stink for weight i've ever seen. if it was bigger i think we'd have ice caps melted long ago.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

PowerPunch, you should know that a good portion of this board believe global warming and the whole greenhouse theory to be utter crap (me being one of them).

Comment

jame$thegreat, please explain why do you think that global warming,greehouse theory is utter crap? Havent you noticed the changes in the climate/wether? Crops failing, draught, etc...what else will convience you?

Its not a good idea to always make fun of everything and try to intentionally ignore the things that would effect mankind in future.
              Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Dwarven Pirate View Post
                I hope they fail with their genetics. Better to just farm more kangaroos (and deer and fish and rabbits). I do not trust genetic manipulation and I think we dont understand half enough about biology to do this sort of thing without consequence.
                It won't necessarily involve genetic engineering. It's possible that all you need to do is inoculate the cattle and sheep with the proper organisms to get results. As long as there are no immune response problems and if the bacteria find the environment congenial, it should work. Theoretically.

After a bit of searching, I found the following article, which seems to support my conjecture.

Radio Australia - Innovations - Methane In Agriculture
                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerPunch View Post
                  jame$thegreat, please explain why do you think that global warming,greehouse theory is utter crap? Havent you noticed the changes in the climate/wether? Crops failing, draught, etc...what else will convience you?

Its not a good idea to always make fun of everything and try to intentionally ignore the things that would effect mankind in future.
                  Please refer to our numerous threads on global warming in our science section.

Our basic premise is that Rev. Al hyped, or sexed up, the intelligence on temperature records to create a mass hysteria. The earth might be warming up, but not to the degree predicted by the global warming cult, with less than dire consequences as predicted by the global warming cult, and certainly far from being caused by man.

We have hundreds of pages of replies with some very good data both for and against the man-made global warming hysteria.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

There are many threads, at least two on the first page of the Science forum, that detail our discussions. Read them, enjoy them, participate in them.

-dale

Comment

jame$thegreat, please explain why do you think that global warming,greehouse theory is utter crap? .
                      For all the reasons in all the threads that dale and gunnut were so nice to point out. Additionally (you will find this in one thread) a 119 page report written by German scientists explaining why the greenhouse theory is against the laws of physics.

Havent you noticed the changes in the climate/wether? Crops failing, draught, etc...what else will convience you?
                      I have noticed none of these things in my daily life. If climate change is so drastic and global why have I not experienced any difference in my everyday life? Furthermore, if you notice on the radio they always say when the temperature is x degrees away from the record recorded in y year. You will notice you never hear how it has broken the record because it hasn't, therefore I don't see the change being as radical as it has been portrayed.

I did not make fun of anything nor did I ingnore anything. In fact, I don't know what you are addressing when you say "everything."

I simply made an inference based on the research I have personally done on the topic, from varying sources and varying points of view. The opinion is mine, the fact that it is not in accordance with the prevailing media's opinion does not mean that I have ignored them, but simply that I disagree with their findings.

Comment

When winter turns to spring here where I live, I tend to notice the average temperature rising. & I've noticed that the average temperature where I live drops when fall turns to winter.

Given the hype I've seen lately, I should be alternating between fearing global warming & an oncoming ice age--both in any given year.

While I'm always looking for a reason to have a party, the two above will not suffice.
                        If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Global warming is awesome. Soon I'll be able to get a tan in Siberia. Why would I not like it?

Comment

Global warming - the politically correct name for summer.

-- BC comic
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                            X