Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clackers View Post
    PPS Dale, you're a bright man ... even if you did own up publicly to not believing scientists on the hazards of passive smoking
    Oh sure, closed environments like airplanes, etc. I have no problem believing that 2nd hand smoke can actually affect a person. But the idea that growing up in a house can do it? Ridiculous. And unsupported.

... I am sure you can follow what a greenhouse gas like methane, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide or any of the fluorocarbons does. If you want to challenge the scientifically accepted values for their individual radiative forcings (Watts-square metres), feel free to 'duke it out' with guys who have PhDs in physical chemistry. For now - I'll take their word for it. :)
    So you're ducking then? Sad.

-dale

Comment

• Originally posted by clackers View Post
      I won't be posting again in this thread - see you in others, though! It's been fun. But at the same time, either there is a silent majority of readers that hasn't spoken up, or the demographics of the people in this particular web forum thread are horribly different from both actual climate experts and the general population (currently 71% in the States, 79% elsewhere) in the real world.

Cheers,
      Clackers

Oh, so you can't answer dale's question: what is AGW?

signed
      a horribly different part of the silent majority

I'd really like to know whether you have come to your POV based on your own verifiable research, or whether you accept that of others.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Police say that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is when it comes to economic scams. Political scams tend to be just the opposite. Political con artists overstate the dangers of whatever disaster they are warning about. Al Gore, Jr., grew up in the old South where many politicians, other than his father, regularly warned about the threat of allowing those described with the n-word to have equal rights.

He is using what he learned to scare people about the nonexistent threat posed by alleged global warming.
        There must be no barriers for freedom of inquiry. R. Oppenheimer

Comment

• Has anyone estimated what percentage of global CO2 emissions are caused by military activity?

Comment

• Despite the fact that leaders from both developing and the developed world have recently gathered in Bali, Indonesia, on the issue of global warming, the fact remains in my view is that the leaders in the western world are taking more propmt cautions and contrivances regarding global warming than that of their conterparts in Asia and other regions of the developing world. The most common drive behind this passive attitude of the developing world is due to ovwerwhelming problems of poverty, hunger, illiteracy and disease that the major parts of the third world countries have been struck down by these emerging threats.It is here that they are giving secondary consideration to this problem of global warming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
              Has anyone estimated what percentage of global CO2 emissions are caused by military activity?
              Wow, I never thought of that, I suppose in an exercise situation that would be something that would be addressed but in an operational situation I would think that the greenhouse effect and global warming would be very low in priority.
              Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
              vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

• Originally posted by rizviqamar View Post
                Despite the fact that leaders from both developing and the developed world have recently gathered in Bali, Indonesia, on the issue of global warming, the fact remains in my view is that the leaders in the western world are taking more propmt cautions and contrivances regarding global warming than that of their conterparts in Asia and other regions of the developing world. The most common drive behind this passive attitude of the developing world is due to ovwerwhelming problems of poverty, hunger, illiteracy and disease that the major parts of the third world countries have been struck down by these emerging threats.It is here that they are giving secondary consideration to this problem of global warming.
                That's exactly right.

People can only worry about the environment after they've fed themselves, their kids, clothed themselves, put a roof overhead, have stability, restricted crimes, and anything else might might be more urgent than the "warming planet."

Look at it. The west has a completely different set of standards and worries than the rest of the world.

We want "organic" food. The rest of the world just wants food.

We have diseases like anerexia and bulimia. The rest of world just wants food.

We worry about what our "carbon footprint" is. The rest of the world just wants some warmth and light.

We worry about pesticides. The rest of the world wants more pesticides.

Global warming is an imaginary problem conjured up by a narcissistic hypochondriac society that has forgotten what it is like to have nothing.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                  Has anyone estimated what percentage of global CO2 emissions are caused by military activity?
                  Never estimated it but gave it some thought; given the amount of coal it takes to field a modern army, navy and air force, it must of necessity be a handsome sum.

Perhaps I ought to copyright the phrase "beware the Military-Carbon Complex!" :))

Regards,

William
                  Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

• The next step

Right,,,now that all the science is in, there is no need for further discussion.

Any further ungodly utterences or dissent will be regarded as heresy,,,,,so there!

Our prophets and scholars are now formulating the holy books that will govern our lives and lead us to a brave new world and salvation.

Mr. Andrew Bolt of the Melbourne Herald Sun has kindly listed some of the already published sayings and edicts of the learned ones so we may be aware and in awe of their visionary benificence.

Column - Handy ideas to make us green and mouldy
                    40 Comments | 0 Trackbacks | Permalink Andrew Bolt Blog
                    Andrew Bolt
                    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 at 08:38am

BY now you’ll be in a panic, wondering how to save yourself from the apocalypse to come.

After all, when the Profit of Doom, Al Gore, says global warming risks “ending all human civilisation” you’ll have figured it will take more than a few low-energy light bulbs to save us.

Too right, so I’ve collected the best and most original tips of many experts on how to slash the gases they say are killing the planet. Follow this advice and we’ll be, um . . . safe?

1. Get rid of humans.

Greenpeace co-founder Paul Watson insists we “reduce human populations to fewer than one billion”.

2. Put a carbon tax on babies.

Prof Barry Walters, of the University of Western Australia, says families with more than, say, two children should be charged a carbon tax on their little gas emitters.

3. Cull babies.
                    Toni Vernelli, of green group PETA, says she killed her unborn child because of its potential emissions: “It would have been immoral to give birth to a child that I felt strongly would only be a burden to the world.”

4. Sterilise us all.
                    Dr John Reid, a former Swinburne University academic, gave a lecture on ABC radio recommending we “put something in the water, a virus that would be specific to the human reproductive system, and would make a substantial proportion of the population infertile”.

5. Ban second children.

Says Melbourne University population guru Prof Short: “We need to develop a one-child family policy because we are the global warmers.”

6. Feed babies rats’ milk.

PETA campaigner Heather Mills, ex-wife of Paul McCartney, says cows’ burps are heating up the world and we should use milk from other animals: “Why don’t we try drinking rats’ milk and dogs’ milk?”

7. Eat kangaroo, not beef.

Greenpeace says kangaroos don’t belch like cows, so are greener and should be eaten first.

8. Shut industries.

Greens leader Bob Brown says we must scrap all coal-fired power stations and our $23 billion export trade in coal.

9. Wash less.

Says actor Cate Blanchett: “I have little races with myself, thinking: ‘Oh no, I’m not washing my hair, I only need a two-minute shower’.”

10. Sweat more.
                    The green-crusading editor of the (airconditioned) Age says we should turn off airconditioners in summer: “Our consumer society has long abandoned the fan or the cold bath as the way to keep summer at bay.”

11. Use human corpses as fertiliser.

Robert Larkins, founder of the Victorian Environment Defenders’ Office, wants gassy cremations banned and humans buried where trees can use their bodies for food.

12. Use coolies, not machines.

Climate Care is offering to offset emissions from jet travel by hiring poor Indians to use manual treadle pumps—once used in British prisons—rather than diesel pumps to pump irrigation water: “Sometimes the best source of renewable energy is the human body itself.”

13.Ban cars on alternate days.

Local pollster Hugh Mackay says “cars’ emissions are stealthily killing us” and we could “halve the fleet, at one stroke, by adopting the odds-and-evens number plate system”.

14. Use horses instead.

The French National Stud Organisation says horses are already replacing petrol-powered vehicles in 70 French towns, and should be used to pull school buses.

15. Stop flying.

Green author George Monbiot says flying is too gassy: “It is becoming morally unacceptable now to fly to go on holiday.”

16. Ban street lights.

Ivan Brooks, a mayor in Adelaide, says street lights should go off after midnight to save emissions.

17. Ban Christmas lights, too.
                    Spain’s Ecologistas and Accion environment groups says Christmas lights should be banned before Christmas day, to save energy.

18. Ban Hanukkah candles.
                    The Arkada green consulting firm is running a “Green Hanukkah” campaign asking Jews to use one less candle to “save the planet”.

19. End democracy.

Says green academic Mayer Hillman, author of How We Can Save the Planet: “When the chips are down I think democracy is a less important goal than is the protection of the planet from the death of life, the end of life on it. (Carbon rationing) has got to be imposed on people whether they like it or not.”

I have more ideas, but you seem already to have gone green. Please remember, these people are just trying to save you from something we can only hope is worse.

But by the way, did you know the planet hasn’t warmed since 1998? I suspect this will come as a relief.
                    Column - Handy ideas to make us green and mouldy | Herald Sun Andrew Bolt Blog

I just remembered something from years ago,,,the book and movie titled Soylent Green.
                    I wonder if that was one of the ancient texts that prophesised the coming of the new mess--iah/s.

Cheers.
                    Last edited by captain; 19 Dec 07,, 21:19. Reason: clarity

Comment

• Originally posted by captain View Post
                      Mr. Andrew Bolt of the Melbourne Herald Sun has kindly listed some of the already published sayings and edicts of the learned ones so we may be aware and in awe of their visionary benificence.
                      Hilarious. Thanks, captain. I liked this one:

1. Get rid of humans.

Greenpeace co-founder Paul Watson insists we "reduce human populations to fewer than one billion".
                      I am all for it, as long as it doesn't affect me.:))
                      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Glad to see more open derision of pseudoscience.

-dale

Comment

• I believe in evolution. Evolution dictates the survival of the fittest. The fittest means one who can survive longest and breed the most, and thus pass on the traits that helped it to achieve that goal.

Does this concept apply not only to physical traits, but to psychological traits as well?

The liberal west is a death cult. Not the pursuit of death of others, but the death of self. They view humans as nothing more than a viral infection of the earth and would do anything to purge it.

Kids are more likely to inherit their parents' views of this world than other people. It is more likely that kids of the liberal west will inherit the same philosophy as possessed by their parents. Given enough time, do you think the liberal west just might breed itself out?

I would like nothing less than liberals breed themselves out. The problem is they actively seek to convert others and to impose their crazed views upon others. They pass laws to tell me that I'm doing something wrong. California is considering to list caffine as a toxic substance! Yet the same group of people think marijuana should be legalized.

Maybe we should give up and let the islamists win. They know what to do with crazy liberals.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                            ...but in an operational situation I would think that the greenhouse effect and global warming would be very low in priority.
                            Furkensturker,

If we specialized in agronomic offsets, could we claim that we were making "green war" ?

What a great way to silence the critics: lower our carbon foot print and even keep the ZPG people happy.

If we wanted to fly a bunch of F22s anyway, we could swap AGWAR assets and know how to, say, the Indians to offset the PRC and/or the Paks while taking carbon credits in trade to make Al Gore and Co. STFU while we keep all of those tankers in the air spewing their smoke :) .

William
                            Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

• Originally posted by captain View Post
                              Right,,,now that all the science is in, there is no need for further discussion.

Any further ungodly utterences or dissent will be regarded as heresy,,,,,so there!

Our prophets and scholars are now formulating the holy books that will govern our lives and lead us to a brave new world and salvation.

Column - Handy ideas to make us green and mouldy | Herald Sun Andrew Bolt Blog

I just remembered something from years ago,,,the book and movie titled Soylent Green.
                              I wonder if that was one of the ancient texts that prophesised the coming of the new mess--iah/s.

Cheers.
                              Aahh yes, Andrew Bolt, here's a man who's not afraid to lead with the chin. Most of his work is very good. His belief is that global warming is a natural thing and seeing as the experts can't agree, what hope have we got.

Freddie
                              Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                                I believe in evolution. Evolution dictates the survival of the fittest. The fittest means one who can survive longest and breed the most, and thus pass on the traits that helped it to achieve that goal.

Does this concept apply not only to physical traits, but to psychological traits as well?

The liberal west is a death cult. Not the pursuit of death of others, but the death of self. They view humans as nothing more than a viral infection of the earth and would do anything to purge it.

Kids are more likely to inherit their parents' views of this world than other people. It is more likely that kids of the liberal west will inherit the same philosophy as possessed by their parents. Given enough time, do you think the liberal west just might breed itself out?

I would like nothing less than liberals breed themselves out. The problem is they actively seek to convert others and to impose their crazed views upon others. They pass laws to tell me that I'm doing something wrong. California is considering to list caffine as a toxic substance! Yet the same group of people think marijuana should be legalized.

Maybe we should give up and let the islamists win. They know what to do with crazy liberals.
                                Or does that also mean that you might have a race of mutants?

When Homo Erectus first appeared on the scene some 70,000 years ago, the world was inhabited with neandothols who were not as smart as Homo Erectus, thus they became extinct due to natural selection, or survival of the fittest, or in this case, the smartest.

Maybe the new race could be, Homo-Without a clue-es. :))

Freddie

Comment

Working...
                                X