Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What If Subhash Chandra Bose had marched upto Delhi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Question, was there any commanders of any worth who went over to the INA?
    Consider that the highest ranked officer in the British Indian Army, Cariappa*, was just a Brigadier in 1945... I don't think there were many Indian senior commanders of note to begin with. IIRC the highest ranking officer who "went over" was an LTC. As you have earlier pointed out, they were neither trusted nor held in great respect by the IJA HQ. In 1939 there were only 300 odd Indian officers, by 1945 it was close to 11,000... but as service dates show the vast majority were company grade, with a small sprinkling of field grades. Not many chances to prove leadership beyond tactical level.

Comment

But war will allow them to become commanders quickly and battle will test their mettle.

Comment

And they went up against Slim? Whom in my mind was the best General of WWII. Man, talking about taking on a titan ...
        Remember he only had his army mostly consisting of Indian soldiers and the rest were British, Burmese, and others. He would have a tough time getting men.

You have to remember INA was popular in India at that time and would have been more popular if Netaji remained alive. It was really touch and go.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
          Remember he only had his army mostly consisting of Indian soldiers and the rest were British, Burmese, and others. He would have a tough time getting men.

You have to remember INA was popular in India at that time and would have been more popular if Netaji remained alive. It was really touch and go.
          Popular, but popular enough to bring in a mass uprising of British India forces, NO.

Comment

If the Congress party had sided with Netaji instead of with Gandhi, half of the British Indian Army would have revolted. It had happened before. The 1857 War for Independence.

Comment

I can seriously say those who served under Slim would stay under the man. He was an inspirational leader with a keen sense of strategic foresight. What's more, he brings out the best in his men and get them to work together like no other general in WWII. I don't know how good a political leader he was but I have no doubt in my mind that he would militarily clean the clock with Netaij and Bose, especially when the latter two are hamstrung by the Japanese.

Comment

True he would clean militarily the clock but politically I am not so sure. In this case, military is just a means to an end. Politics can be another means to an end which would be Netaji Bose's ace card.

Comment

clean the clock with Netaij and Bose, especially when the latter two are hamstrung by the Japanese.
                  Not to knitpick, but Netaji and Bose are the same person sir.
                  Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                  -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

My mistake. I've mistaken him with Rash Behari Bose.

Comment

Originally posted by Adux View Post
                      5000 Brits controlled the whole of India, we would have folded in front of the IJA if they played thier cards right like the brits in India.
                      It must be remembered that in case of Axis victory , the whole of South east Asia and China would have fallen to Japanese. the task of administrating such a big empire (which would have included 2 most populous countries of the world) would be enormous . Morever there is no historical animosity between Indians and Japanese unlike that which exists between Japan and China. Morever India is the birthplace of Buddhism. No muslim country would ransack Saudi Arabia right? There is a strong reason to assume that India would keep itself away from Japan's embrace. Morever Marshall Tito kept himself free from Soviet control. There exists historical precedent to assume that strong leaders can keep themselves free from tyrannical masters
                      Keyboard is mightier than gun

Comment

Originally posted by devgupt View Post
                        There exists historical precedent to assume that strong leaders can keep themselves free from tyrannical masters
                        The Koreans, Filipinos, Burmese, Indonesians, and even your own people will disagree with you.

Comment

Military expertise, power, men and the works were on the Brit side, Churchill needed Montgomery, who did Netaji have?

Comment

As I told you before, war itself will produce commanders. History has proven that countless times.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                              As I told you before, war itself will produce commanders. History has proven that countless times.
                              Hitesh,

Brits would have won that fight. They had better war-commanders; by the time war taught our boys something, it would be all over.
                              Last edited by Adux; 11 Dec 07,, 20:10.

Comment

I don't believe it would be that easy. You are giving Indians way too far less credit. Don't be such a narcissist.

Comment

Working...
                                X