Canada Military Under-Estimated??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ucar View Post
    So tell me Sir, since under the ABCA program, the operational requirements are standardized as well, do the troops have obligatory 5 o'clock tea since I can imagine no respectful British Officer who would agree to let go of this tradition as a part of standardization ?
    It's not the tea time tradition I'm worry about. It's the Americans who don't allow 2 beers a day that I worry about - oops, that's gone on our side as well.

Comment

Look at these French Soldiers, they were caught with "wine" in their flasks... And drunk off it :P

LiveLeak.com - Drunk French army dude sluurrrrrs his speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Ucar View Post
        ... do the troops have obligatory 5 o'clock tea since I can imagine no respectful British Officer who would agree to let go of this tradition as a part of standardization ?
        I always wanted to standardize the French and Italian wine stocks, not to mention the British wet wardroom. Some things just don't seem to be subject to effective standardization.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          The other relationship I suggest you look at is the very little known but so influential ABCA (American, British, Canadian, Australian) Program. It is an Army program with equivalents in the Air Forces and Navies where we have standardized manuals and operational requirements.

In other words, I, as a Canadian Army Lieutenant-Colonel, can assume command of an American Task Force just as if I was USArmy.
          Conversly can a junior US Army Captain take command of a British rifle coy normally commanded by Majors? How is it in case of Canucks? Ozzies?

Comment

Also what about the fact that the Brits have a much more loose NCO structure than Americans? And the fact that NCO rank progression utimately ends up becomming WOs with Brits, but in US they are different career tracks? Whats up with Canadians and Ozzies?

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
              Conversly can a junior US Army Captain take command of a British rifle coy normally commanded by Majors? How is it in case of Canucks? Ozzies?
              In theory, yes. In practice, no. Company commands is usually handle by within the company or the battalion. If the USArmy Captain is on exchange with the battalion, then if no others are there, then he should be able to command the company.

The exchange is usually done at the Major rank and up with Battle Group/Brigade to be primary units of exchange. On the American side, they have been known to accept on the division and corps level. Canadian MGens have served as the V Corps 2IC in Iraq.

I had a USMC Colonel who commanded 2 Brigade on a major exercise while the Brigade CO was away. He performed all the functions of command while a Canadian LCol was his 2IC. Even dressed down a few numbskulls that only a Marine can do. And praised a few that only a Marine can do.

NCMs usually do not go on exchanges but most exchanged officers are made aware of who does what.

Comment

Do exchange officers get to hit the dirt in live combat at the squad or platoon level? Cheers. Would be interesting to see international relations under (literal) fire on a day-to-day basis.
                HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post
                  Do exchange officers get to hit the dirt in live combat at the squad or platoon level? Cheers. Would be interesting to see international relations under (literal) fire on a day-to-day basis.
                  Most certainly. There was a Canadian Engineer Captain leading a British attack on Basra.

Comment

Working...
                  X