Phalanx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phalanx

Phalanx CIWS: The Last Defense, On Ship and Ashore (defense procurement, military acquisition, defence purchasing)

What are your views on this system.

Old hat?

Superseded by RAM for tackling anti-ship missiles, has some possible utility against the 'small boat' threat, but nothing much more.
    HD Ready?

Comment

Christ ! It Won't Shoot !!!

Comment

Tsk, didn't you see The Sum of All Fears? The Phalanx clearly proves itself by valiantly shooting down several Russian missiles! :D
        HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
          Christ ! It Won't Shoot !!!
          Well, that's only when the GM's screw up on loading the drum magazine or forget to turn on the right switches inside the CIWS control room.

I was aboard New Jersey during her gunnery trials against towed sleeves. The sleeve was on a 25,000 foot wire. I, with a rep from General Dynamics who built the gun, was standing about 40 feet from the CIWS watching it track the incoming sleeve.

Then it opened up with a roar. And kept roaring. Gen Dynamics reps were tripping over each other to get back into the control room to turn it off as we were ducking pieces of the 2,500 feet of tow wire the gun kept shooting at after shredding the target sleeve.

The pilot of the tow plane was NOT too happy. He had to go back to North Island to get an entire new tow wire installed.

So we prefer to nickname the CIWS as R2D2 with an ATTITUDE.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I have read that USN sailors call the Phalanx gun roar the "Abandon ship alarm"
            "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

Originally posted by TIN MAN View Post
              LOL I love that!

Comment

I would prefer Goalkeeper if I had to choose a gun system just because it uses the mighty "Hogs`" GAU-Avenger cannon! Heavier explosive rounds hitting the target, 30 mil versus 20, slightly longer kill range with a more advanced targeting system.
                The disadvantage with Goalkeeper is the fact that you have to break the deck to fit it versus a bolt on mount with Phalanx, a plug and play unit. Allegedly. GK is more expensive and a whole lot heavier. Some of the goalkeeper systems the RN has at present were "trade ins" with the Dutch. They got some marine gas turbines and we got GK. Typical MOD!!

As an aside, the RN is having real issues with future plans to fit a Phalanx/GK type CIWS to Type 45 destroyers. Firing arcs for these weapons are a big headache on those ships and they are limited with where the systems can be placed. Expect an imaginative solution!

Comment

What do you think of this one?

Rheinmetall AG - 04/12/2004: Millennium 35 mm Ahead gun system platform & role flexibility
                  Rheinmetall AG - Skyshield 35 Fire Unit

It is also possible to instal it on the new Boxer APC.

German Navy is only using RAM, although they had installed a leased Goalkeeper for tests once.

They also use this one against helos and speedboats.
                  It´s originally the fighter gun of Tornado,Gripen and Eurofighter:

Rheinmetall AG - MLG 27 Light Naval Gun System

Comment

That's like a giant shotgun.

We should adapt it to use on land against large number of unruly hippies.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

[QUOTE=ray dekker;430192]What do you think of this one?

Pretty impressive.:)
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

No, it's keep your heads down because small chunks of the incoming bird are going to be scattered all over you decks.

The CIWS is purposely programmed not to open fire until the target is 1,850 meters away (or about 2,000 yards which is one sea mile). It could be programmed to open fire at a greater range, but dispersion would require even more rounds to be fired to assure penetration into the guidance module and warhead of the bird.

Also, they are programmed not to open fire on anything that is not coming directly at them. A playful pilot in an accompanying jet fighter doing a fly-by might get perferated otherwise.

Not as in "Under Siege".

Comment

The disadvantage with Goalkeeper is the fact that you have to break the deck to fit it versus a bolt on mount with Phalanx, a plug and play unit.
                          Not quite true. On the Spruance class Destroyers we had to replace large sections of the deck plating with 1-inch thick inserts and heavier beams for reinforcement. On the Battleships we built special armored deckhouses to mount the guns on and also served as ready-service magazines.

The 30mm Goal Keeper we tested on a Spruance (USS Merill DD-976) came with its own deckhouse that housed the magazine and feed chain to the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            Not quite true. On the Spruance class Destroyers we had to replace large sections of the deck plating with 1-inch thick inserts and heavier beams for reinforcement. On the Battleships we built special armored deckhouses to mount the guns on and also served as ready-service magazines.

The 30mm Goal Keeper we tested on a Spruance (USS Merill DD-976) came with its own deckhouse that housed the magazine and feed chain to the gun.
                            That is ok if you have the room and funding for an extra deckhouse I suppose! If not, you still have to cut through the deck for GK. No purpose built structures for the paupers in the RN, they plonk it where it will fit but I guess there is more than one way to skin a Cat.
                            As I understand, the GK is fed from below its deck level whilst Phalanx has an ammo drum attached? Is the gun mount slewed by servos or hydraulics?

Was not aware the USN tested GK, good info, thanks.

Comment

Yup.

In WWII, the saying was: when the 5" are firing, no worries, when the 40MMs open up, it might be a problem, when the 20MMs open up it's time to man the boats.

Any close in weapon, be it the 20MMs or WWII, or the .50s before, or CIWS today is only for last ditch use. When they do open fire for real, there is a major threat close at hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X