Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Terminator-style helmets that allow RAF and US pilots to see through their planes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Terminator-style helmets that allow RAF and US pilots to see through their planes

The US and Britain are working together in developing the futuristic F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. Britain is to have 150 of the aircraft. The hi-tech helmets will allow the RAF and USAF pilots to see right through their planes.

Britain and America, leading the way in military technology...

The Terminator-style helmets that allow fighter pilots to see through their planes

by MATTHEW HICKLEY
    9th November 2007
    Daily Mail

Only the neck and shoulders prove there is a human being in there somewhere.

This is how the next generation of RAF fighter pilots will look.

And with piercing green eyes staring out from behind the visor, it's no surprise that the helmet has been compared to Arnold Schwarzenegger's killer robot in The Terminator.

Pilots flying the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter will have an astonishing array of technology encasing their heads - enabling them to see right through their own aircraft fuselage to the ground below.

A series of cameras on the outside of the stealth warplane feed high-resolution images into the helmet, including infra-red images at night, which are then projected on to the inside of the pilot's visor.

Special sensors inside the cockpit track the movement of the helmet, so that when the pilot turns his head his view of the skies or ground outside changes accordingly.

When he looks down he sees not his own feet on the cockpit floor but the ground below, slipping past at hundreds of miles per hour.

On-board computers also feed in essential flight and combat data on to the display, as well as superimposing target symbols to locate enemy and friendly aircraft or ground targets, even if they are too far away to see with the naked eye.

The supersonic Joint Strike Fighter is due to replace the Harrier jump jet, and is being developed jointly with America.

Britain is due to buy 150 aircraft at around £10billion, or £66million each.

Cutting-edge: Cameras are attached to the outside of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters (being developed by Britain and the United States) to give pilots all-round vision

Prototypes were used in flight by U.S. pilots earlier this year and are now being assessed by engineers at Boscombe Down in Wiltshire.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "The computerised symbology will be displayed directly on to the pilot's visors, providing the pilot with cues for flying, navigatingand fighting the aircraft.

"It even will superimpose infra-red imagery on to the visor to allow the pilot to look through the cockpit floor at night and see the world below - like something out of Terminator."

COUNTRIES THAT SPEND THE MOST ON DEFENCE (US$)

1) United States - 553,000,000,000
    2) Britain - 69,800,000,000
    3) France - 65,370,000,000 (also includes the police force)
    4) Germany 52,100,000,000
    5) Japan 49,100,000,000
    6) China - 45,000,000,000
    7) Russia - 32,400,000,000 2007
    8 ) Italy - 32,093,537,000 2006 (est.)
    9)Saudi Arabia -31,255,000,000
    10) South Korea - 26,050,000,000

dailymail.co.uk

Im really impressed, this helmet looks great on paper and in training exercises that we have done. Great find!

Comment

Plus its goddamn horrifying to see that on the enemy.

Comment

Do you really believe those expenditure figures, Blackleaf? That the Chinese spend $45 billion on their military per year?
        HD Ready?

Comment

No, there pretty accurate I have the list somewhere on my computer I will try to find it.
          Last edited by Rossiman; 12 Nov 07,, 02:11.

Comment

List of countries and federations by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            This is from 2007, but the list really hasn't changed much, Russia is spending more though.

Comment

Aha, I knew I've seen that pilot before.
              Attached Files
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                Aha, I knew I've seen that pilot before.
                hahaha, nice

Comment

Working...
                X