Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Tech

hello people...

Just came across this, was wondering if anyone has heard anything of it, and what your thoughts would be.?
    ---------------------
    Hi-tech helmets for fighter pilots
    Futuristic new helmets will enable fighter jet pilots to see through their own aircraft, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The head gear being developed for the hi-tech F-35 Joint Strike Fighter(JSF) is currently being tested by MoD scientists at Boscombe Down in Wiltshire.

An MoD spokesman said: "Unlike other jet aircraft the JSF, which is planned to replace the Harrier, does not have a traditional head-up display. Instead the computerised symbology will be displayed directly on to the pilot's visors, providing the pilot with cues for flying, navigating and fighting the aircraft.

"It even will superimpose infra-red imagery on to the visor to allow the pilot to look through the cockpit floor at night and see the world below - like something out of Terminator.

"This is absolutely the cutting edge of technology. No other helmet will be able to do this."

The head gear, currently at prototype stage, is being developed by Vision Systems International and Helmet Integrated Systems Limited.

[QUOTE=Simullacrum;424888]hello people...

Just came across this, was wondering if anyone has heard anything of it, and what your thoughts would be.?
    ---------------------
    Hi-tech helmets for fighter pilots
    Futuristic new helmets will enable fighter jet pilots to see through their own aircraft, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The head gear being developed for the hi-tech F-35 Joint Strike Fighter(JSF) is currently being tested by MoD scientists at Boscombe Down in Wiltshire.

Ah, dear old Harry Boskers! Farnborough used to be the place for that sort of thing. Once upon a time it had more scientists working there than any other establishment in the world. Those were the days.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Indeed me old china.... still put on a decent air show tho.!
      Still good to see that this type of tech is going on.

Comment

I was out looking at an F-35 about an hour ago and someone was telling me about this. I'd never heard of it before. There is some weird sensor/glass thing below the cockpit, we were wondering if that's what it was.

Comment

Working...
        X