Air refueling capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air refueling capabilities

The USAF has restrictions on simultaneous refueling from their big wing tankers, i.e. no simultaneous tanking from the wing pods and the centerline station. This is due to the limited receiver safety clearances. Looking at other annexes in the NATO AAR pub I can't find any such restrictions for the new Airbus tanker or the UK VC.10.K3. The tanker sizes are not appreciably different so the receiver clearances aren't any different. Are the others better/more daring pilots or are the others just intuitively smart enough to know that you shouldn't even try to do that sort of thing?

Part of it is probably that the US tends to have larger aircraft.

Are you looking at the new pub? A new version came out in past few weeks. I've looked through it, but not really in that great detail.

Comment

Yes, I have the new pub and the old one for that matter. When I was going through it I saw that the USAF has restrictions but no one else has explicit restrictions - at leaqst not in that pub. So I was hoping someone on this forum might have real world experience with one of these aircraft types and would know if this sort of thing was routinely done.

Comment

Working...
      X