Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Cow! Airborne jumping don't seem like a good idea after all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    Thanks, I was under the (wrong) impression than jumping was rather the exception and landing with gliders being the norm since they would (to the best of my understanding) be able to carry along more and heavier weapon, ammo etc, it is more safe/sneaky, since the gliders make the alst part on their own without the noisy transporters, and you dont have thousands of parachuts in the sky, and quite simply I guess the men in the glider require less training than those who jump out of the planes (or at least can spend more time training other things).
    Most of that is true, especially the part about carrying heavier weapons like vehicles and light artillery. But as the Normandy landings showed, gliders are trickier in actual use than in theory.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

"I agree. Though my father was in the 82nd (Op Mrkt Grdn) I never could see the sense in jumping out of a perfectly good airplane." - RustyBattleship
      But Rusty, there are no "perfectly good" airplanes! :P

"Is there an alternative landing technique for having that much weight on you?" - Stan187
      Stan,

There is only one PLF. If you forget everything else, remember this, "Keep your feet and knees together, trooper!" ;)
      Last edited by Rifleman; 11 Nov 07,, 14:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleman View Post
        But Rusty, there are no "perfectly good" airplanes! :P

[/B] ;)
        Any Airplane with plenty of fuel and only / not X in the aircraft forms is perfectly good.

Your parachute was made by the lowest bidder and packed by someone with a death wish, MOS 92R thats why they volunteered for the army, your airplane has gone up and down successfully before, and gets maintained by someone who knows they may fly on it, and has the sense of self preservation to join the airforce and a sense of comfort live in housing on a gulf course with air-conditioning.

Comment

my buddy was a rigger in 82nd, according to him there were several deadly accidents in the fort during his service, but none due to parachute jumps.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Try this if you dare :)
            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
              my buddy was a rigger in 82nd, according to him there were several deadly accidents in the fort during his service, but none due to parachute jumps.
              Misdirection their decision making chain was obviously impaired by slip stream or something else negatively impacting their decision making. abilities. leading them to unsafe behavior, or taking undue risks to avoid leaping again. Lets take a look here, Luis Lenormand invintor of the parachute, and first user....... DEAD. Aaron Seitler the man who first left an aircraft by parachute....... DEAD. William O'Connor founding member of the Caterpillar club ...... DEAD. All of these people only have two things in common, they are dead and they used parachutes. It can't just be correlation to be that regular.

Comment

6 jumps from a UH-1 Huey at Ft. Rucker, 4 static line and 2 free fall, with a round canopy. That was enough. Of those 6, one was a tree landing in dense forest (jumpmaster's fault, bad spot; I was driving towards the DZ the whole time). Another (my fault) had me 50 feet above a concrete ramp area. My brother, an experienced parachutist, shouted "You'd better do a really f-----g good PLF!!" I did, and it still hurt. But no broken bones.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                  Luis Lenormand invintor of the parachute, and first user....... DEAD. Aaron Seitler the man who first left an aircraft by parachute....... DEAD. William O'Connor founding member of the Caterpillar club ...... DEAD. All of these people only have two things in common, they are dead and they used parachutes. It can't just be correlation to be that regular.
                  Expanding on that - same brother, 2000+ jumps, has kids. Is thinking about giving up skydiving. He insists it's safe. I asked him "How many hobby/sporting activities are there where it is a relatively normal activity to watch people die?" He had seen 2 people "bounce" in his career. He hung up, then sold, his rig.

Comment

I did 38 jumps....the first 37 it was all HOOOAH!!!

On 38 I was "What the FVCK am I doing?"

Made the jump and was done. After that I only jumped off my Bradley.

Went out of Hueys, Chinooks, C-123s, C-130s and C-141s.

Chinook was the best.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Jumped out of an airplane once, tandem jump skydive and free fall from 15,000 feet. Got the video, the pictures, the t-shirt, and I will most probably never ever do it again (unless someone pays for me).

I prefer staying on terra firma, thank you very much. I have nothing against flying, but I firmly believe your number of landings should equal your number of takeoffs, and at the moment I'm off by 1...
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

by Albany Rifles
                        I did 38 jumps....the first 37 it was all HOOOAH!!!
                        On 38 I was "What the FVCK am I doing?"
                        I had to pull my reserve on what turned out to be my second to last jump. Did one more after that just to prove to myself I wasn't "chicken". I decided it was time to quit while I was ahead the curve of "major and minor malfunction statistics"! Sometimes I miss it but then my knee reminds me, "no way".
                        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

YouTube - Blood Upon the Risers(Gory Gory What a Hell of a Way to Die)

He was just a rookie trooper and he surely shook with fright,
                          He checked off his equipment and made sure his pack was tight;
                          He had to sit and listen to those awful engines roar,
                          "He ain't gonna jump no more!"
                          (CHORUS)
                          Gory, gory, what a hell of a way to die,
                          And he ain't gonna jump no more!
                          "Is everybody happy?" cried the Sergeant looking up,
                          Our Hero meekly answered "Yes," and then they stood him up;
                          He leaped right out into the blast, his static line unhooked,
                          And he ain't gonna jump no more.
                          (CHORUS)
                          He counted long, he counted loud, he waited for the shock,
                          He felt the wind, he felt the cold, he felt the awful drop,
                          The silk from his reserve spilled out and wrapped around his legs,
                          (CHORUS)
                          The risers wrapped around his neck, connectors cracked his dome,
                          Suspension lines were tied in knots around his skinny bones;
                          The canopy became his shroud; he hurtled to the ground.
                          (CHORUS)
                          The days he'd lived and loved and laughed kept running through his mind,
                          He thought about the girl back home, the one he'd left behind;
                          He thought about the medics, and wondered what they'd find,
                          (CHORUS)
                          The ambulance was on the spot, the jeeps were running wild,
                          The medics jumped and screamed with glee, rolled up their sleeves and smiled,
                          For it had been a week or more since the last a 'chute had failed,
                          (CHORUS)
                          He hit the ground, the sound was "SPLAT" his blood went spurting high,
                          His comrades were all heard to say "A hell of a way to die!"
                          He lay there rolling round in the welter of his gore,
                          (CHORUS)
                          (slowly, solemnly)
                          There was blood upon the risers, there were brains upon the chute,
                          Intestines were a'dangling from his Paratrooper suit,
                          He was a mess, they picked him up and poured him from his boots,
                          And he ain't gonna jump no more
                          And he ain't gonna jump no more!
                          I don't know how it comes to pass that this hasn't been posted.
                          Last edited by Triple C; 10 Nov 10,, 07:54.
                          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

I don't know how it comes to pass that this hasn't been posted.

Because it brings back too many stupid, braindead, scary memories of our youths!
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

watched Ripley's believe it of not, yesterday, they had an episode about a guy who is bored of jumping out of a plane with a parachute, he jumps without parachute from one plane, than catches another plane, gets in, and lands.
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                Because it brings back too many stupid, braindead, scary memories of our youths!
                                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                                X