Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the French Leclerc tank "THE" ultimate tank??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the French Leclerc tank "THE" ultimate tank??

Hello,

I know nothing about tanks, but I work with a Frenchmen who was a leclerc commander. He said that the Leopard 2A6 and the M1A2 are equally worthless against the Leclerc. Can anybody give me some aguments that would prove the french guy wrong, please only constructive feedback.

Thanks, Thomas

Did he give reasons? If not, there is nothing to prove wrong.
    HD Ready?

Comment

Tell him to be quiet until its battle tested.
      As far as I know this talk has never seen any real combat, so how your friend can claim its better than anything in the world, especially something as balle proven as the M1A2 is fairly laughable.

Im sure other will be able to give a much better answer than me thought, consider this a free bump ;)

Comment

I think it often helps tp simply look how well a weapon sales (and compßair it with the other ones) and so far I think the Leclerc has only found one costumer outside France.

Comment

Doubtfull

I cannot quote statistics or tech specs of the top of my head but as I am aware the 3 tanks mentioned (the most up to date versions) are a reasonable match for one another. One can go google the tech specs (basic Leo available here Krauss-Maffei Wegmann – LEOPARD 2 – Ihr Partner rund um Wehrtechnik.
          However as you can see the details needed for a technical comparison are not here, this is because I imagine the companies that build them and the countries that use them don't like every little detail about their MBT being public knowledge. Each of the tanks does have some little advantage as I understand it but I cannot for the life of me say one would be vastly superior to either of the others.
          Lets face it the man I'm afraid was talking from his ass (by the way are you cure he was a Leclerc tankie and not just some prat who likes tanks an that happens to be his favorite).
          D
          they have us surrounded, the poor bastards.

Comment

i think that the leclerc is the lightest among the three mentioned & also the most agile

BTW anybody knows about the per unit cost of the leclerc??

as for the ultimate tank is concerned it really depends in which terrain you are fighting

in an urban combat scenario the leclerc scores over the rest bacause of it's relatively low signature & agility
            Last edited by wajahat; 30 Oct 07,, 20:57.

Comment

Urban

The Leo seems to me to be quite well designed for that kind of enviroment as well but until they go head to head (not very likely) its all just theory and there is one other tank I believe (after learning more about it) would hold its own in that kind of scenario an that is the Merk 4. However this is all really just opinion based as I don't have comprehensive studies and so on to look at so its by no means hard fact.
              D

Comment

"It is I, LeClerc"!

Comment

LeClerc is better because it has more reverse gears than M-1 or Leo 2.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Why!!!

Please gunnut you didn't have to wheel that horror of a "joke" out, that really was uncalled for you know:)) anyway thats the Italian tank not the French one that the joke belongs to!
                    D

Comment

Italians have tanks?
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Ouch

Oh now that was mean, even I wasn't that cruel
                        On a serious note they use the Leo 1 as some sort of 2nd line support but the MBT is something called the C1 Ariete. On the face of it, it seems like a reasonably decent vehicle of which they have 200+
                        Oto Melara were involved in its development and construction (for the most part) and they are a good company. I have seen some of their work and it is quite good. You know I do believe its been a while since there was a half passable tank discussion round here, but if a thread for that is started it will have to be comprehensive, no half baked missing a few tanks here and a few tanks there lazy jobs :))
                        D

Comment

Originally posted by Recon_sgt View Post
                          Please gunnut you didn't have to wheel that horror of a "joke" out, that really was uncalled for you know:)) anyway thats the Italian tank not the French one that the joke belongs to!
                          D
                          No No you are almost right.. while French tanks have the best reverse gears in modern warfare. Italian tanks have the ability to switch colours while in the field ..depending on who is winning the war!

Comment

ah I knew something was missing

Thanks Can I knew there was something not quite right. The Italians are quite expert at such things

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                              I think it often helps tp simply look how well a weapon sales (and compßair it with the other ones) and so far I think the Leclerc has only found one costumer outside France.

Then t-90 wins hands down. It's easily the most sold tank of the last decade.

Comment

Working...
                              X