I need 10 WWII Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need 10 WWII Movies

My grandpa's 80th birthday is in a few weeks, and I want to get him a DVD player and 10 WWII movies. They can be from any era (50s-today), preferably color or remade in color. Thanks for any recommendations. And no, Pearl Harbor isn't one of 'em.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

A rather little known but a very good one is finnish movie ´Winter War´ . Action scenes are still quite OK though the movie is over 15 years old . Features a lot of less-known and rarely seen vehicles - T-26 light tanks , I-16 fighters - most of it used on same battles as pictured in the movie !
    If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

The Great Escape, Das Boot, A Bridge too Far, Saving Private Ryan and one excellent one I can't remember involving German troops on the Eastern front...
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Not a movie, but excellent film: Band of Brothers.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

What Pari and gunnut said.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

pari,

one excellent one I can't remember involving German troops on the Eastern front...
            stalingrad?
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I was going to say Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, but I see that they were already mentioned.

Don't really know of any other ones, sorry.
              I stand with Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                pari,

stalingrad?
                May well have been astralis. Was it told from the German perspective?
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Das Boot
                  The longest Day
                  The Great escape
                  Enemy Below
                  Steiner - The Iron Cross (Ithin that was the one pari mentioned)
                  Tora Tora Tora
                  Operation Petticoat
                  Die Brücke (The bridge , German movie from 1950s)

Am I the only one who didn't really like Saving Private Ryan?

Comment

The Devil's Brigade, The Hill (1965, Sean Connery), Das Boot, The Longest Day, King Rat, Memphis Belle, Casablanca, A Bridge Too Far, Cross of Iron, and Patton.
                    Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Comment

Wow I cant believe no one has said it yet..

Guns of Navarone! also Enemy at the Gates, Letters from Iwo Jima, The Bridge at Remagen, Desert Rats and To Hell and Back are very good ones also. I watched Devils Brigade on the history channel a few months ago, pretty good..lots of humour!

Another one..but really, it sucks hard.. Thin Red Line. The Longest day, SPR, and Das Boot are among my favorites. And the Band of Brothers box-set would make a great gift.
                      Last edited by Canmoore; 30 Oct 07,, 02:16.

Comment

The Bridge over the river Kwai, Band of Brothers, the Longest day, Patton, Toroa Tora Tora, das Boot, Letters of iwo Jima.

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                          Wow I cant believe no one has said it yet..

Guns of Navarone. Another one..but really, it sucks hard.. Thin Red Line. The Longest day is one of my favorites.. I am sure you can get it in colour somewhere.
                          I agree with the Thin Red Line. What the hell was with all the photos of birds spliced with the action? It was like watching an artistic French director making a neuvo war movie. The action scene on the hill was very well done though. The rest of the movie I could have done without. I remember coming out of that film with some military buddies and just looking at each other with the what the hell was that look.

Guns of Navarone was a bit too into itself. It doesn't really make the cut when you consider the best genre films. I think Attack Force Z was better.
                          Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            The Bridge over the river Kwai, Band of Brothers, the Longest day, Patton, Toroa Tora Tora, das Boot, Letters of iwo Jima.
                            I liked that movie because it had Alec Guinness. Also, anyone remember the war movie that David Bowie stared in? I think it was a Korean war movie though..

Comment

Originally posted by Maggot View Post
                              I agree with the Thin Red Line. What the hell was with all the photos of birds spliced with the action? It was like watching an artistic French director making a neuvo war movie. The action scene on the hill was very well done though. The rest of the movie I could have done without. I remember coming out of that film with some military buddies and just looking at each other with the what the hell was that look.

Guns of Navarone was a bit too into itself. It doesn't really make the cut when you consider the best genre films. I think Attack Force Z was better.
                              Caught my edit! nice job!!

As a kid there was something about Guns of Navarone lol. I watched that movie over and over, maybe it was just me, but I always liked that movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X