28 Days & 28 Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 Days & 28 Weeks

I first saw 28 Weeks Later. The movie was great. Unlike most horror movies, it managed to get across the sense of terror. So I was eager to see 28 Days Later. It turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment. A lot of the blood and gore in it was gratuitous. The movie did have a dull and depressing feeling, but somehow the storyline destroyed the impression of the actual film.

Has anyone else seen the films? If you haven't I definetly recommend seeing atleast 28 Weeks.

I've seen the movie, it seems pretty good. I think they're planning a third one set in Russia.
    Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

I saw 28 days later and I thought it was pretty good. It's a twist on the traditional zombie flick.

Then I saw 28 weeks later at a $3 theater. I want my $3 back.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Really? What did you like about 28 days? To me the storyline seemed to get in the way of the actual film. The story line was almost annoying.

Comment

the ´28 days´ used the storyline of excellent sci-fi novel ´Day of the Triffids´ . The movie itself was OK , not so sure about the ´28 weeks´. Havent seen it yet .
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
            Really? What did you like about 28 days? To me the storyline seemed to get in the way of the actual film. The story line was almost annoying.
            I thought there was a deeper meaning behind the story. It was telling us that sometimes human nature is worse than zombies. The zombies we can see and hear and know exactly what they are. Humans can put on a front. We pretend we like each other but then we stab each other in the back when it's convenient for us.

The head zombie in 28 weeks later is almost too super natural. It teleported all over the place, stalking the main characters around. They find someone with immunity to the virus, but placed no guard or door locks at the facility so anyone can get in. Stupid kids getting into trouble. All of that was caused by them.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The facility was locked. Their dad was just the manager of the place. He had access to everything. In any event the storyline of 28 weeks is secondary. The main thing is deep feeling of pure terror that the film transmits. Not the classical ''boogeman out of the closet'' kind (where it's not really scary except for a few seconds when it startles you).

I can kind of see where you're coming from with the 28 days, except that the end of the movie really ruined it for me. The house in which the end happened was too reminiscent of classical horror movies. It was almost cliche. That, and the zombies were not scary. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
                I can kind of see where you're coming from with the 28 days, except that the end of the movie really ruined it for me. The house in which the end happened was too reminiscent of classical horror movies. It was almost cliche. That, and the zombies were not scary. At all.
                There were two endings filmed, in one the male protagonsit dies from his gunshot wounds, in the one they used he survives.

I haven't seen the sequel. I want to just haven't got round to it yet.

As gunnut highlights, the real horror is the commander of the remaining soldiers in Manchester. People acting without control (i.e. the victims of rage) are comfortable threats - we at least can kill / quarantine etc. It is the uncontrolled ideologist against which we must be careful.

I think, as Braindead says, this comes across better in the Day of the Triffids, of which 28 days is an updated version to make horror more contemporarily relevant and more fearful.

In the Day of the Triffids, man has overtly played God (the origin of the Triffid) and as an indication of reckless greed has propogated a dangerous species around the planet (the triffid). When a force majeur occurs (and man is struck blind) man is victim to the easily identifiable overt one - the triffid (played more for suspense than horror) and the sinister oppression of those trying to re-build humanity in some dogmatic image.
                at

Comment

I think the whole premise of the two films is really good, man makes mutant strain of virus, people gatecrash the site and set said virus loose. Anarchy prevails...... now think of bird flu...or smallpox and now the story for me takes on a real menace.
                  The films were made quite cheaply and did v. well at the box office. As for the monsters not being scary well I can't buy into that....Norman Bates looked like a wet paper bag and he was v. scary.....it is always more scary in your mind I think.
                  I think the really beauty in the films is the ability to project London as deserted.
                  I think that the films work well if you do not take them too seriously, thay are good fun and I look forward to number 3
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X