Best Web Browser-Cast Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Web Browser-Cast Vote

Alright I just wanted to get your opinion on what web browser si the best,what you prefer etc. To help out I thought I'd post an article first.

People may be passionate about their favorite sports team, but if you really want to get them fired up, ask what Web browser they use.

There's the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd who tend to stick with the browser that's included with their operating system -- Microsoft's Internet Explorer on Windows and Apple's Safari on the Mac. There are the "I've just gotta be me" folks who prefer lesser-known browsers, such as Opera from Opera Software. And there are the "live free or die" open-source true believers who champion Mozilla's Firefox above its commercial counterparts.
    Browser Smackdown: Firefox vs. IE vs. Opera vs. Safari

Here's 4 articles why these people prefer the browser they do.Note the Safari one refers to Safari 2. Safari 3.03 is out and is available for Windows XP,Vista, and Linux.So head on over to Apple downloads to catch up if you have to.

I have all four and to me they own have their distinct advantages except IE 7. I only use IE 7 when I have to use a website not compatible with my other browsers or an browsing files through my computer.It's far behind the other browsers IMHO.

Firefox is good because it has by far the most add ons allowing me to customize it to my hearts content. From built in del.icio.us to let me access my bookmarks from anywhere,colorful tabs for easy tabbed browsing,good proxy support,web developer tools and much more firefox is an Open Source monster.

Safari is the most user friendly and the fastest browser on my computer. It has the best bookmarks interface by far. Organizing bookmarks is alot like organizing bookmarks in iTunes.Folders,subfolders and a great drag and drop interface. I can drag a folder into a subfolder and vice versa and thanks to the bookmarks button on the toolbar I can quicly save a page to a bookmarks folder and a sub folder if it exists.Also it has great keyboard shortcuts like ctrl+alt+b to go into bookmars and ctrl+click to open a link in a new tab if right clicking to do it is too slow for me.It has a built in autofill feature allowing me to quickly fill out even long complex forms with ease.
    It alos has snap back allowing me to go back to my search results or the home page of a site without hitting back a million times.Also has a great easily customizeable toolbar and is extremely simplified and yes its a beautiful looking browser. I can also merge all windows into tabs or drag out tabs into windows.

Opera to me is describe din one word:features. It is full of features..... spellcheck,speed dial,cascade,tile,new tab, and widgets. It's also as fast as Safari.LOL it has too many features to list.

So for me I pick

1 Safari or Opera(can't decide)
    2 Firefox
    3 IE 7
    Safari 3
    9.09%
    Firefox 2
    50.00%
    Opera
    9.09%
    IE 7
    22.73%
    Avant
    9.09%

Safari for me though the windows beta version was too buggy the last time I tried it. Haven't looked at opera but I will
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Sorry dude,you missed my favorite and the one I'm using right now....Avant,nice interface,easy to use,faster than IE by far;) .
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        Safari for me though the windows beta version was too buggy the last time I tried it. Haven't looked at opera but I will
        For me it's not buggy other than the fact it closes when I print all the time. Other than that it's not buggy for me.O yea i forgot to mention Opera's autofill is called a wand.

Comment

I vote for Firefox. It's open source. It's free. And it ain't M$ or Apple.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            I vote for Firefox. It's open source. It's free. And it ain't M$ or Apple.
            I like Firefox also gunnut,I just like Avant more:) ,it's also free and open source.
            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I've been in the IT field since '92.

IE can be customized also: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...ombrowser.mspx

From all the hype I've seen about "better this, cooler that" they are all about the same. OK! so Mozilla is open source. What does that do for my browsing? am I now going to spend all my surfing time - coding this 'lil bitty gotta have feature' or just surf? If I am a hacker it would be easier for me to figure out brower code for an exploit.

For all the hype I've seen with the browsers, I stick to IE. Never had a problem, and support is easy and quick if anything does happen. I've never had any exploits hit my system through IE, because I keep up with ALL OS patches. And THAT is the key - not the "browser of the day".

I have not really seen anything that makes me go "wow!" in any of the other browsers out there.
              Last edited by texasjohn; 26 Oct 07,, 01:34.

Comment

IE doesn't have as many add ons as firefox(firefox has thousands). I have used IE and other browsers based on my experiences the other browsers have better features and are far more user friendly.

Comment

I am with Texasjohn in that browsers are boring. I've also been in the tech field for awhile and snored through the first Exploro-Netscape browser war to no great loss. Work was all Sun Solaris Unix nodes so we used Netscape. Big whoop. I used IE at home. Another big whoop.

Now I use Avant like Shamus, mainly because the single tab function is nice.

-dale

Comment

Avant added to the poll
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

myie2 for me.
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                        Avant added to the poll
                        Thanks alot appreciate it.
                        BTW I got rid of the boring gray theme for my firefox browser. It's all metallic and awesome! I wonder if adding a web developer tool is a good idea. I already have built in del.icio.us so i don't have to lug my bookmarks with me.

You guys can have fun arguing I have all five browsers anyway.:)) :)) :))

RSS rules!!!

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                          myie2 for me.
                          It's been renamed Maxthon

Comment

Originally posted by urmomma158 View Post
                            IE doesn't have as many add ons as firefox(firefox has thousands). I have used IE and other browsers based on my experiences the other browsers have better features and are far more user friendly.
                            And how many of those thousands do you really use? Furthermore, do you know the source of the add on? Are you sure it does not have a built-in exploit?

Open source is just that! It's OPEN to the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Comment

[sarcasm]We have to compare their operating ranges, reliability, mobility, crew comfort, and armor. You guys are just posting uneducated opinions. Do some research God.[/sarcasm]

Comment

Working...
                              X