Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: 64 years ago

  1. #1
    Administrator Tarek Morgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Feb 07
    Location
    Kassel
    Posts
    4,417

    64 years ago

    Hi, this is a more personal story of mine (or of my family), I first planned to write about this on the 22 October, but that was also my first day at colloge so I was kinda busy. But better late than never:

    My parents live in the north of Bavaria but for many generations, and as my Grandparents still do, my family has lived in died in the City of Kassel in Hesse. Heck, my great-great-great-grandfather ( I am nut 100% sure if I got all the greats) was a brewmaster and two of his more famous regular costumers were the Brothers Grimms and the roots of my family go even much deeper in this town.

    So even though I lived my whole live in Bavaria I just moved to Kassel to start studying History and Politics here, but I am still not getting to the point of all this (guess I am a lousy story teller).
    Since I moved here I heart some more stories from my Grandparents about our family history, and on of this stories was about the night of the 22.October 43. The night the city was completely destroyed in an allied air raid. My Grandmother was just four old (my grandfather was not born until after the war), when the alarms started. Luckly her Father, who served at the eastern front, had one of the rare home-holidays that night. Instead (as the law required) to go downstairs into the basement and hope for the best, he ordered his family to leave the house and to make their way together over the neraby bridge which leads over the fulda (back then the city ended there) and trying to get away from the attack instead of hoping to sitting it out. Just when they were leaving their home the local “Blockwart” showed up. (Blockwart: Blockleiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) He asked what the hell they were doing and why there were not in their basement. My Great-Grandfather told him that they were trying their luck at the other riverside, and that everyone who does not want to be burned alive should to the same. As he then proceeded to get his family to the bridge ignoring the Blockwart ordered him to go back and to stay into his basement, the Blockwart put himself in front of him and told him that this would be his last warning, and if he would not comply he would see that he and his family would pay the price. He had not even completely finished his last word when he was struck by my great-grandfather (as far as I know he served mostly as a loader for different kinds of artillery and had the fitting body for that job). After he had sended the Blockwart to the ground the he and his family rushed on to the bridge. While the Blockwart struggled to get back unto his feet and into his house (and basement) he shouted after my great-grandfather that he will have him hanged in the morning.

    My Grandmother family managed to get over the bridge and far enough away in time. Everyone of their whole street who hat stayed indoors died in the fire bombing. My Great-grandfather was not hanged..the blockwart did not survive the attack either, he, and the rest of his family survived the whole war and continued to live in Kassel until his death.

    I am not exactly sure what my point is with the story, but after I heart it, I was kinda struck from how much luck was needed in just that single night in order for my family to survive (and so allow me be born), and how easily it could have turned otherwise.

    Please excuse my English which is even worse than usually but after over 12 hours at the campus I am kinda tired and my spellcheck doesn't work.

  2. #2
    Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Misawa Airbase, Japan
    Posts
    8,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    Hi, this is a more personal story of mine (or of my family), I first planned to write about this on the 22 October, but that was also my first day at colloge so I was kinda busy. But better late than never:

    My parents live in the north of Bavaria but for many generations, and as my Grandparents still do, my family has lived in died in the City of Kassel in Hesse. Heck, my great-great-great-grandfather ( I am nut 100% sure if I got all the greats) was a brewmaster and two of his more famous regular costumers were the Brothers Grimms and the roots of my family go even much deeper in this town.

    So even though I lived my whole live in Bavaria I just moved to Kassel to start studying History and Politics here, but I am still not getting to the point of all this (guess I am a lousy story teller).
    Since I moved here I heart some more stories from my Grandparents about our family history, and on of this stories was about the night of the 22.October 43. The night the city was completely destroyed in an allied air raid. My Grandmother was just four old (my grandfather was not born until after the war), when the alarms started. Luckly her Father, who served at the eastern front, had one of the rare home-holidays that night. Instead (as the law required) to go downstairs into the basement and hope for the best, he ordered his family to leave the house and to make their way together over the neraby bridge which leads over the fulda (back then the city ended there) and trying to get away from the attack instead of hoping to sitting it out. Just when they were leaving their home the local “Blockwart” showed up. (Blockwart: Blockleiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) He asked what the hell they were doing and why there were not in their basement. My Great-Grandfather told him that they were trying their luck at the other riverside, and that everyone who does not want to be burned alive should to the same. As he then proceeded to get his family to the bridge ignoring the Blockwart ordered him to go back and to stay into his basement, the Blockwart put himself in front of him and told him that this would be his last warning, and if he would not comply he would see that he and his family would pay the price. He had not even completely finished his last word when he was struck by my great-grandfather (as far as I know he served mostly as a loader for different kinds of artillery and had the fitting body for that job). After he had sended the Blockwart to the ground the he and his family rushed on to the bridge. While the Blockwart struggled to get back unto his feet and into his house (and basement) he shouted after my great-grandfather that he will have him hanged in the morning.

    My Grandmother family managed to get over the bridge and far enough away in time. Everyone of their whole street who hat stayed indoors died in the fire bombing. My Great-grandfather was not hanged..the blockwart did not survive the attack either, he, and the rest of his family survived the whole war and continued to live in Kassel until his death.

    I am not exactly sure what my point is with the story, but after I heart it, I was kinda struck from how much luck was needed in just that single night in order for my family to survive (and so allow me be born), and how easily it could have turned otherwise.

    Please excuse my English which is even worse than usually but after over 12 hours at the campus I am kinda tired and my spellcheck doesn't work.
    Congratulations on being the desendant of a man smart enough to know what to do, and tough enough to be able to do it.

    Emigrate to America. If you're from stock like that, we need you.

  3. #3
    Administrator Tarek Morgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Feb 07
    Location
    Kassel
    Posts
    4,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    Congratulations on being the desendant of a man smart enough to know what to do, and tough enough to be able to do it.

    Emigrate to America. If you're from stock like that, we need you.
    mh I have an arabic name, my familiy lived in Saudi Arabia for two years, and I voted for a green party once (but the guy deserved it). Uh...I would be kinda scaried about your airport check..but I did think about moving to canada one day.

  4. #4
    In Memoriam/OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 07
    Location
    Sebastian,Florida
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    mh I have an arabic name, my familiy lived in Saudi Arabia for two years, and I voted for a green party once (but the guy deserved it). Uh...I would be kinda scaried about your airport check..but I did think about moving to canada one day.
    Great story Tarek .I'll stand with Blues on this,you would be more than welcome in our country.I don't think you would have any trouble with a last name like Morgen,come on over) .
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Administrator Tarek Morgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Feb 07
    Location
    Kassel
    Posts
    4,417
    Uh Morgen ist not my Last name, My nick here was supposed to be Tarek Morgenstern but that was too long. Morgenstern is the German translation (or at least one of the possible ones) of Tarek, and means Morning Star. My real last name would translate into Clan.

  6. #6
    In Memoriam/OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 07
    Location
    Sebastian,Florida
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    Uh Morgen ist not my Last name, My nick here was supposed to be Tarek Morgenstern but that was too long. Morgenstern is the German translation (or at least one of the possible ones) of Tarek, and means Morning Star. My real last name would translate into Clan.
    Still works for me bud,Go west young man!)
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    15 Sep 06
    Posts
    6,755
    My father was a pilot with Bomber Command during WW2. I remember seeing his log book when I was young and reading the names of the targets (they were underlined in red ink). When he died I was still serving in uniform but went home for the funeral. Although I searched the house from top to bottom I could not find the book. My mother said she thought he had probably torn it up and put it on the fire some time before, with his other war mementos. He had turned into a pacifist.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

  8. #8
    Senior Contributor Canmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 May 06
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    mh I have an arabic name, my familiy lived in Saudi Arabia for two years, and I voted for a green party once (but the guy deserved it). Uh...I would be kinda scaried about your airport check..but I did think about moving to canada one day.
    Come on over to Canada! I know many many Germans who have settled hear in the Ottawa Valley. Especially in the more remote rural areas.. It seems that a lot of Europeans really like the more isolated areas..probably because back home there are not to many isolated areas left..

    One summer I worked as a laborer for a German bricklayer named Uudo (not sure on the spelling) he came to the area 27 years ago. We worked at a newly immigrated German businessman property. who owned a massive outdoor clothing company in Germany, then sold it to move to Canada with his wife. He bought 2000 acres of bush up near Ompah. He was building a resort lodge for Germans to come and hunt bears and wolves. Another younger German who had just got his masonry papers, then immigrated to the area with his family to work with us also! I was the only english speaking person working on the site!

    Lots of Germans up my way..and they are all fantastic people.
    Last edited by Canmoore; 27 Oct 07, at 16:12.

  9. #9
    In Memoriam/OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 07
    Location
    Sebastian,Florida
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Canmoore View Post
    Come on over to Canada! I know many many Germans who have settled hear in the Ottawa Valley. Especially in the more remote rural areas.. It seems that a lot of Europeans really like the more isolated areas..probably because back home there are not to many isolated areas left..

    One summer I worked as a laborer for a German bricklayer named Uudo (not sure on the spelling) he came to the area 27 years ago. We worked at a newly immigrated German businessman property. who owned a massive outdoor clothing company in Germany, then sold it to move to Canada with his wife. He bought 2000 acres of bush up near Ompah. He was building a resort lodge for Germans to come and hunt bears and wolves. Another younger German who had just got his masonry papers, then immigrated to the area with his family to work with us also! I was the only english speaking person working on the site!

    Lots of Germans up my way..and they are all fantastic people.
    No way buddy,we saw him first .Just move to Michigan,Tarek,and you'll have the best of both worlds .
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jan 07
    Location
    cheshire uk
    Posts
    11,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    No way buddy,we saw him first .Just move to Michigan,Tarek,and you'll have the best of both worlds .
    Well!! at least one of them the chances of getting run over are higher in Michigan at the moment Oh! did I mention shamus' daughter getting her drivers licence..she is currently showing her Paw how to drive!!!)

  11. #11
    In Memoriam/OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 07
    Location
    Sebastian,Florida
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by dave lukins View Post
    Well!! at least one of them the chances of getting run over are higher in Michigan at the moment Oh! did I mention shamus' daughter getting her drivers licence..she is currently showing her Paw how to drive!!!)
    And I had to come to the Master to get this question answered.....Old ladies are still worth 50 points,right Dave??
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

  12. #12
    Administrator Tarek Morgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Feb 07
    Location
    Kassel
    Posts
    4,417
    Sorry Shamus, but Canada simply seems more interesting for me than the U.S., and even though they have Quebec, they dont have a Bible belt and a club 700 up there (at least I hope). Oh and I have heart that having German Immigrants in the area usually leads to a huge improvement in the locals bakeries *g*

    (If you have ever been in a bakery in Germany, you know what I mean).

  13. #13
    In Memoriam/OAF-Old Aggravating Fart Senior Contributor Shamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 07
    Location
    Sebastian,Florida
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    Sorry Shamus, but Canada simply seems more interesting for me than the U.S., and even though they have Quebec, they dont have a Bible belt and a club 700 up there (at least I hope). Oh and I have heart that having German Immigrants in the area usually leads to a huge improvement in the locals bakeries *g*

    (If you have ever been in a bakery in Germany, you know what I mean).
    OK fine...be that way....just wait until we give you guys back Celine Dion....then you'll be sorry.. ,Oh,did I happen to mention if you move to Ontario you can look forward to paying(on every purchase) an 8% Provincial sales tax and the 7% General sales tax....oh yeah...if it's liquor you can add another 10% sin tax...that comes to...let's see....15% on everything......25% on liquor....Michigan sales tax....6%
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    12 Jun 07
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,297
    Lower prices though. Oh what am I even saying. Don't listen to anyone. Do whatever you want to do.

  15. #15
    Senior Contributor Canmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 May 06
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    OK fine...be that way....just wait until we give you guys back Celine Dion....then you'll be sorry.. ,Oh,did I happen to mention if you move to Ontario you can look forward to paying(on every purchase) an 8% Provincial sales tax and the 7% General sales tax....oh yeah...if it's liquor you can add another 10% sin tax...that comes to...let's see....15% on everything......25% on liquor....Michigan sales tax....6%
    Yes, in Ontario we have high taxes, and you can only buy beer at a government run store..which like to close at the most inconvenient times..(all the more reason to go to the pub!!)

    But hell..if you love the outdoors, than there is no other place in the world like Canada.. A country with amazing infrastructure, yet always just a stones throw away from untamed wilderness.

    Dont get me wrong, im not saying that there are great places in America that have alot of wilderness...but really, there are no longer any virgin land, unmolested by man in America...(other than Alaska).

    But Canada has so much virgin land where no human have ever stepped foot.. you can take a bush plane up north and cast your line into a lake where no human has ever gone before..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lies about the USSR
    By agent09 in forum Europe and Russia
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06 Jun 08,, 15:55
  2. 18 years ago today : "We Remember Turret Two"
    By Shipwreck in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19 Apr 07,, 19:37
  3. Memories of Iwo Jima - 61 years ago
    By vaughn in forum The Field Mess
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12 Sep 06,, 21:13
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11 May 06,, 17:30

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •