This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay here is the solution:

After the battle (at least according to the story) the Prince wandered over the battlefield and found the dead blind Prince who, when he heart that the favour of the battle was turning against the French, joined it, even though not being able to see anything. The Black Prince was impressed by his courage and decided to use his motto in his own badge. This motto was "ich dien" (German for I serve). Until today it can be found on the badge of the Prince of Wales:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_of_Wales.svg

The same badge was supposed to be used as the logo for the Welsh Rugby Union until the 1990s when the WRU changed it in order to be able to get a copyright on it they changed it into the form of the picture posted earlier and replaced "Ich dien" with WRU.
    Last edited by Tarek Morgen; 20 Oct 07,, 18:06.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
      Okay here is the solution:

After the battle (at least according to the story) the Prince wandered over the battlefield and found the dead blind Prince who, when he heart that the favour of the battle was turning against the French, joined it, even though not being able to see anything. The Black Prince was impressed by his courage and decided to use his motto in his own badge. This motto was "ich dien" (German for I serve). Until today it can be found on the badge of the Prince of Wales:

The same badge was supposed to be used as the logo for the Welsh Rugby Union until the 1990s when the WRU changed it in order to be able to get a copyright on it they changed it into the form of the picture posted earlier and replaced "Ich dien" with WRU.

ah...ok. Toughest question yet...no one got it...ask another..:)
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
        ah...ok. Toughest question yet...no one got it...ask another..:)
        I thought that it would be easy for the brits, (at I in their case would be wondering why the badge of the prince of Wales has a German motte, On my first trip to England I found it quite confusing when I saw it on some coins).

Uh another question:

Why do the people of St. Mere Eglese hang a puppy from their church tower every june?

Comment

I thought that it would be easy for the brits, (at I in their case would be wondering why the badge of the prince of Wales has a German motte, On my first trip to England I found it quite confusing when I saw it on some coins).

Uh another question:

Why do the people of St. Mere Eglese hang a puppy from their church tower every june?
          To represent the American paratrooper who was stuck there on D-Day?
          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• yep

Comment

• What was the first foreign capital that the United States conquered?
              "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Does the battle of York count?

Comment

Does the battle of York count?
                  Nope;)

Comment

• then my second guess would be Santa Fe 1848.

Comment

• Tripoli ?
                      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Originally posted by braindead View Post
                        Tripoli ?
                        Tripoli was bombed and blockacked but not invaded. Derne was captured, but it was "only" a provincial capital.

Comment

then my second guess would be Santa Fe 1848.
                          Getting warmer;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                            What was the first foreign capital that the United States conquered?
                            Mexico City in 1847.
                            Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

• Originally posted by wkllaw View Post
                              Mexico City in 1847.
                              You are correct sir:) ,your question.

Comment

• mexico city was taken? How could I oversee that??

Comment

Working...
                                X