This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
    Well without the clue I had to guess from any of the 43 presidents you had so far, so yeah it did help *g*

My Quiz:

Name three succesful revolution in Germany in the last 200 years. (well there were only three...and you are going to love the third one)
    1) "French" Revolution (help with German consolidation and introduced civil law and a customs union)
    2) 1918-19
    3) The Nazis

1848 doesn't really stand out as being successful.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

1919-19 is correct

I did not count the Nazis as revolution, I would rather consider it a..uh what do you call a "Putsch"? Or the Term "Machtergreifung" is usually used (only referring to the rise of the nazis, means as much as uh.."grip for power"

And the French revolution..that was more than 200 years ago *g* (ok the effects you named are not, but its not what I am looking for)

clue: you got the middle one. one happend earlier, one later

Comment

1) German Empire
        2) 1918-19
        3) Berlin Wall

uh.."grip for power"
        power-grab

Comment

ah yeah power-grap is muich better.
          1: wrong (that was no revolution)
          2: right
          3: right

Its predates 1870/71 and 1848 and was limited to a part of what is now Germany.

Comment

ah yeah power-grap is muich better.
            1: wrong (that was no revolution)
            2: right
            3: right

Its predates 1870/71 and 1848 and was limited to a part of what is now Germany.
            From what I know of the 1848 revolution (learned in last 5 mins) it was successful at first...many concessions given, but within a few years all of them were wiped out... doesn't that count?:)
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

mh not really, at last its not the one i am looking for (this one was really succesful, and about a far more important subject than an united Germany or democraty *g*)

Comment

Ich nicht weiss, der Kulturkampf? Was anderen Revolution muss es sein?

Comment

mh no, sorry. I just figured that one could use the sexual revolution as the third one..but that was a world wirde( or at least western) thing.

I guess nobody will find the answer so here it is:

The glorious Beer Revolution in Bavaria in the year 1844!

The king of Bavaria Ludwig 1 declared that a rise of the beeer rpice to fill the empty pocket of the states. This lead to an puplic outrages and the people started to protest widly in the streets, to occupy the breweries and even had fights with the police. When the police was unable to control the situation the army was called, but they showes mostly sympathy for the protesters and are suppossed to even have refused a direct order from the King to shot at them when they were threating to storm the Theater where the King was watching a show. After a few days the king had to back down and was forced to reduce the price again. The people had been victorious.

Comment

Well without the clue I had to guess from any of the 43 presidents you had so far, so yeah it did help *g*

My Quiz:

Name three succesful revolution in Germany in the last 200 years. (well there were only three...and you are going to love the third one)
                    Don't know about the first two. But the third one HAD to be the German citizens following President Reagan's "suggestion":

"TEAR DOWN THIS WALL."
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                      Don't know about the first two. But the third one HAD to be the German citizens following President Reagan's "suggestion":

"TEAR DOWN THIS WALL."
                      The Berlin Wall was one of them yes, but..uh only few had Ronald Reagen speech in mind when it happened. Most Germans hardly remember that one (in contrast to JFKs "Ich bin ein Berliner" which everyone knows. Over here Reagan is mostly "the actor who got president and came up with this star wars thing". Somehow only very few repuplican presidents manage to get very popular over here.

Comment

I remember JFK saying "I am a doughnut" when he meant to say he was from Berlin. My German friends gasped when they heard the words.
                        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

well tarek,

your turn again. c'mon, now that i see this thread i want in!
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                            I remember JFK saying "I am a doughnut" when he meant to say he was from Berlin. My German friends gasped when they heard the words.
                            uh not doughnut, but berliner is also something to eat:

http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/1...rliner28mt.jpg

uhm the next question..

Who is this man?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Karl Donitz

Comment

nope, but you are in the right branch.

Comment

Working...
                                X