This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    Honestly, I have absolutely no bloody idea. I was probably reading something at the time, and it stuck. I have no idea what it is now. The closest thing I can think of is maybe Santa Anna, captured wearing a Private's uniform, and maybe it was a play on words?

I dunno, I forgot entirely. Open question.
    Happens. Usually after the wedding
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Here's an easy one from American history and I'll be really surprised if AR doesn't jump on it:

The most famous person on the Midnight Ride was obviously Paul Revere.

But the second best known rider, Prescott is the only one that actually finished the journey.

Who was the third rider and why was he hardly mentioned in history?

Comment

• William Dawes
        According to family lore, the quick-witted Dawes, knowing his horse was too tired to outrun the two British officers tailing him, cleverly staged a ruse. He pulled up in front of a vacant farmhouse and shouted as if there were patriots inside: “Halloo, boys, I’ve got two of ‘em!” Fearing an ambush, the two Redcoats galloped away, while Dawes reared so quickly he was bucked off his horse. Forced to limp into the moonlit night, he receded into obscurity.

Comment

• Is your name AR????

Your question...

Comment

• And Israel Bissell, the person who rode for four days and six hours covering the 345 miles from Watertown, Massachusetts to Philadelphia along the Old Post Road, shouting "To arms, to arms, the war has begun," is almost entirely forgotten, simply because "Paul Revere rhymes with a lot more than Israel Bissell".
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
              Is your name AR????

Your question...
              Sorry could not help myself

What quintessential temporary structure of the industrial revolution was erected in England and what was it's purpose?

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              And Israel Bissell
              any relationship to the company?

Comment

• So BK you gonna post stuff or a question?!?!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  So BK you gonna post stuff or a question?!?!
                  The question was

What quintessential temporary structure of the industrial revolution was erected in England and what was it's purpose?

Comment

• Can you define temporary?

I am thinking of Crystal Palace (The Great Exhibition), but can be many things.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      Can you define temporary?

That was quick your question Doktor.
                      The Crystal Palace was designed to be a temporary structure to be taken down and put up again somewhere else.

Comment

• The symbol of industrial era, besides engines ;)

It's open.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          Can you define temporary?

Beat me to it!

I was thinking of the Crystal Palace, too, but didn't think it was "quintissential". Good job, Dok!
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            So BK you gonna post stuff or a question?!?!
                            What part of "I dunno, I forgot entirely. Open question." didn't you get? ;)
                            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Okay, here's a quick one that was in the news here last week, and it's quite the interesting story. Shouldn't take more than five minutes of research to come to an answer:

The diaries of which #2 major, world-class, murdering asshole were uncovered in a Tel Aviv apartment?

Comment

• Jawohl! Heinrich Himmler; love letters to his wife and other missives.
                                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                                X