Clear All

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    2002nd actually ;)
    oops, but was I right?

Comment

• [QUOTE=zraver;829908]
      Originally posted by Doktor View Post

so 20 centuries or 200 years?

Big difference between the death of Jacob Rapheal Cohen and a couple of legions....
      The Latin word for what we call a century is saeculum (thank you, Google); so, XX years (20) is just one-fifth of a saeculum whereas 20 of our centuries would be XX Saeculuae or MM years. But 21st Century in English translates to the XXI Saeculum in Latin, and 2011 translates to MMXI=1000+1000+10+1.
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Of course the big problem for Roman maths is they had no symbol for 0... multiplication and division for them tough enough; XX/lV... (20/4) or MMXI x MCDXXIV...(2011 x 1174).

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
          Of course the big problem for Roman maths is they had no symbol for 0... multiplication and division for them tough enough; XX/lV... (20/4) or MMXI x MCDXXIV...(2011 x 1174).
          They had no symbol for 0 for one very simple reason: the number Zero wasn't invented until the end of the 10th century
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            They had no symbol for 0 for one very simple reason: the number Zero wasn't invented until the end of the 10th century
            No, the idea of zero dates to two thousands years before Christ, the Romans referred to it as null, Zeno of Elea contemplated how it could be in the 400 BC's- "how can nothing be something?", India had the symbol for 0. However it was not until 825 and al-Khwārizmī' father of Algebra (from whom we get the word algorithm) fused Eastern and Western thoughts on zero in the Islamic world that we see the full understanding of zero in all of its uses in one place in its current shape 0.

The idea that the ancients didn't have zero is a common historical myth. You can't have accounting, census taking, taxation, architecture, astronomy, engineering etc without zero in some form.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              So DOR, what is the correct answer?
              Lots of misunderstanding . . . XXth (fill in the numbers) wasn't Roman numerals, but just a space filler.

Sept 9th, 2011, was the 35th anniversary of the death of Chairman Mao Zedong.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                Lots of misunderstanding . . . XXth (fill in the numbers) wasn't Roman numerals, but just a space filler.

Sept 9th, 2011, was the 35th anniversary of the death of Chairman Mao Zedong.
                Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                45th anniversary of Mao Tse Tung buying the collective
                I called it way back in the beginning, but hit "45" instead of "35". I'll come up with a question in a bit
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Edit: Double Tap
                  Last edited by bigross86; 27 Dec 11,, 09:55.

Comment

• I was captured because I enjoyed wearing distinctive under-britches. Who am I?

Comment

• So Ben....its only been 2 years and a month.

Going to drop a hint?
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        So Ben....its only been 2 years and a month.

Going to drop a hint?
                        He's thinking about it

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                          He's thinking about it
                          Dave, then it better be Einstein, Gandhi, Newton and Plato in its brilliance!!!
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Honestly, I have absolutely no bloody idea. I was probably reading something at the time, and it stuck. I have no idea what it is now. The closest thing I can think of is maybe Santa Anna, captured wearing a Private's uniform, and maybe it was a play on words?

I dunno, I forgot entirely. Open question.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                              I was captured because I enjoyed wearing distinctive under-britches.
                              Yes, we know that Benny but when are you going to give us a question?

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                                Yes, we know that Benny but when are you going to give us a question?
                                :insane:
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X