X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
    Leaping in uninvited (apologies):
    Sept. 9th is the XXth (fill in the #) anniversary of what?

W T C
    Wasn't that X years ago and 2 days later?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• I'm gonna say collapse of the Soviet Union...
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Wasn't SU collapse official on 31/12/1991?

Something for everyone from Wiki:

Events

9 – Arminius' alliance of six Germanic tribes ambushes and annihilates three Roman legions of Publius Quinctilius Varus in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.
        337 – Constantine II, Constantius II, and Constans I succeed their father Constantine I as co-emperors. The Roman Empire is divided between the three Augusti.
        1000 – Battle of Svolder, Viking Age.
        1379 – Treaty of Neuberg, splitting the Austrian Habsburg lands between the Habsburg Dukes Albert III and Leopold III.
        1493 – Battle of Krbava field, a decisive defeat of Croats in Croatian struggle against the invasion by the Ottoman Empire.
        1513 – James IV of Scotland is defeated and dies in the Battle of Flodden Field, ending Scotland's involvement in the War of the League of Cambrai.
        1543 – Mary Stuart, at nine months old, is crowned "Queen of Scots" in the central Scottish town of Stirling.
        1561 – The ultimately unsuccessful Colloquy at Poissy opens in an effort to reconcile French Catholics and Protestants.
        1739 – Stono Rebellion, the largest slave uprising in Britain's mainland North American colonies prior to the American Revolution, erupts near Charleston, South Carolina.
        1776 – The Continental Congress officially names its new union of sovereign states the United States.
        1791 – Washington, D.C., the capital of the United States, is named after President George Washington.
        1801 – Alexander I of Russia confirms the privileges of Baltic provinces.
        1839 – John Herschel takes the first glass plate photograph.
        1850 – California is admitted as the thirty-first U.S. state.
        1850 – The Compromise of 1850 transfers a third of Texas's claimed territory (now parts of Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming) to federal control in return for the U.S. federal government assuming $10 million of Texas's pre-annexation debt.
        1855 – Crimean War: The Siege of Sevastopol comes to an end when Russian forces abandon the city.
        1863 – American Civil War: The Union Army enters Chattanooga, Tennessee.
        1886 – The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works is finalized.
        1914 – World War I: The creation of the Canadian Automobile Machine Gun Brigade, the first fully mechanized unit in the British Army.
        1922 – The Greco-Turkish War of 1919-1922 effectively ends with Turkish victory over the Greeks in Smyrna.
        1923 – Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the Republic of Turkey, founds the Republican People's Party.
        1924 – Hanapepe Massacre occurs on Kauai, Hawaii.
        1926 – The U.S. National Broadcasting Company is formed.
        1939 – World War II: The Battle of Hel begins, the longest-defended pocket of Polish Army resistance during the German invasion of Poland.
        1939 – Burmese national hero U Ottama dies in prison after a hunger strike to protest Britain's colonial government.
        1940 – George Stibitz pioneers the first remote operation of a computer.
        1942 – World War II: A Japanese floatplane drops incendiary bombs on Oregon.
        1943 – World War II: The Allies land at Salerno and Taranto, Italy.
        1944 – World War II: The Fatherland Front takes power in Bulgaria through a military coup in the capital and armed rebellion in the country. A new pro-Soviet government is established.
        1945 – Second Sino-Japanese War: Japan formally surrenders to China.
        1947 – First actual case of a computer bug being found: a moth lodges in a relay of a Harvard Mark II computer at Harvard University.
        1948 – Kim Il-sung declares the establishment of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
        1956 – Elvis Presley appears on The Ed Sullivan Show for the first time.
        1965 – The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development is established.
        1965 – Hurricane Betsy makes its second landfall near New Orleans, Louisiana, leaving 76 dead and $1.42 billion ($10–12 billion in 2005 dollars) in damages, becoming the first hurricane to top $1 billion in unadjusted damages.
        1966 – The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act is signed into law by U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson.
        1969 – Allegheny Airlines Flight 853 DC-9 collides in flight with a Piper PA-28 and crashes near Fairland, Indiana.
        1969 – In Canada, the Official Languages Act comes into force, making the French language equal to the English language throughout the Federal government.
        1970 – A British airliner is hijacked by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and flown to Dawson's Field in Jordan.
        1971 – The four-day Attica Prison riot begins, which eventually results in 39 dead, most killed by state troopers retaking the prison.
        1972 – In Kentucky's Mammoth Cave National Park, a Cave Research Foundation exploration and mapping team discovers a link between the Mammoth and Flint Ridge cave systems, making it the longest known cave passageway in the world.
        1990 – 1990 Batticaloa massacre, massacre of 184 minority Tamil civilians by Sri Lankan Army in the eastern Batticaloa District of Sri Lanka.
        1991 – Tajikstan gains independence from the Soviet Union.
        1993 – The Palestine Liberation Organization officially recognizes Israel as a legitimate state.
        1999 – 9/9/1999, both the beginning of the Y2K bug and the official debut of the Dreamcast.
        2001 – Ahmed Shah Massoud, leader of the Northern Alliance, is assassinated in Afghanistan by two al Qaeda assassins who claimed to be Arab journalists wanting an interview.
        2001 – Pärnu methanol tragedy occurs in Pärnu County, Estonia.
        2001 – At exactly 01:46:40 UTC, the Unix billenium is reached, marking the beginning of the use of 10-digit decimal Unix timestamps.
        2004 – 2004 Australian embassy bombing: A bomb explodes outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta, killing 10 people.
        2009 – At exactly 9:09:09 PM, the Dubai Metro, the first urban train network in the Arabian Peninsula, is ceremonially inaugurated.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          XXth is 20th Eric. ~Thousand of things happened that day of importance so it needs to be narrowed down in the clue
          Cheers nuts im crap at roman numerals :slap:and mine was a guess as it is WTC remembrance day 10 years on , I watched it on TV today , very sombre
          Last edited by tankie; 09 Sep 11,, 18:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
            Nope St Maraget of Scotland, English issue but born in Hungary. She was the sister of Edgar Elthiling (which is the answer to the question) uncrowned king of England. The daughter of that union Maltida I married Henry I, the son of William of Normandy thus relinking the old house of Wessex with the Norman Dynasty. The daughter of that issue Empress Maltida married Geoffrey Plantagenet and founded the Plantagenet dynasty. The last legitimate male issue related to this was executed in 1499.

From 1066 to 1499 the line had nearly 30 monarchs.
            I apologise zraver. 100% correct and again apologies for late signing off.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Doktor;829821]Wasn't SU collapse official on 31/12/1991?

Could be. I got it from TIME Mag 11/9/1991 issue. Anyway, I was closer than your California statehood entry, which was 162 years ago, not XX years ago. :0

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                Cheers nuts im crap at roman numerals :slap:and mine was a guess as it is WTC remembrance day 10 years on , I watched it on TV today , very sombre
                It's been on most of the week and it still shocks. The firemen were unbelievable. Beyond bravery. In a war zone they would all be awarded the VC.

Comment

• So DOR, what is the correct answer?
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                    It's been on most of the week and it still shocks. The firemen were unbelievable. Beyond bravery. In a war zone they would all be awarded the VC.
                    Quite so. One interview on NPR is worth listening to. It's with a fireman who was on the 4th floor fire escape when the 2nd tower collapsed. He describes the sounds of collapse and afterwards seeing mountain of debris around him which he descended. You can read the interview, but listening is 10 times more powerful.

NPR Media Player
                    Last edited by JAD_333; 09 Sep 11,, 20:33.

Comment

• [QUOTE=JAD_333;829852]
                      Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      Wasn't SU collapse official on 31/12/1991?

Could be. I got it from TIME Mag 11/9/1991 issue. Anyway, I was closer than your California statehood entry, which was 162 years ago, not XX years ago. :0
                      What can I say? We measure centuries with roman numerals over here :)

Comment

• If you can get the the non-NY copy of the NYT today, the upper level stained glassed windows of St Peter's no longer get cleaned on the inside. Turns out the roof and ceiling of St Peters is held up by a forest of timbers. The NYFD calls it the lumber yard. The NYFD would take rookies in there on inspections to let them see it, and they would sign their names in the dust over the windows. Thus the backsides of the stained glass windows are now the autographs of dead heroes and the church hasn't cleaned them since....

Comment

• [QUOTE=Doktor;829905]
                          Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post

What can I say we measure centuries with roman letters over here :)
                          so 20 centuries or 200 years?

Big difference between the death of Jacob Rapheal Cohen and a couple of legions....
                          Last edited by zraver; 09 Sep 11,, 21:11.

Comment

• I didn't see it as a number for years... but XX = ?? = unknown.

Comment

• Then Sept 9, is the 2000th anniversary of the birth of Germany.

Comment

• 2002nd actually ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X