This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
    By gum, you are right,,,I did type 1938...couldn't have been '38...it was 1936.
    My mistake

But the Ruhr reincorporation, your answer, was 1933.
    uh ruhr q+was someone else, i was the OKW guy.

Comment

• Braindead and Tarek...excuse me for using you as interchangeable parts...time to retire for the day...working on job and WAB at same time isn't such a good idea...
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Unfortunately we´re not interchangable. Unlike Tarek I have not been correct on any of my answers . Yet .
        If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Don't worry your time will come, and I am wrong often enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            You're right. It was the Rhineland. The Ruhr was reincorporated in 1933. The Rhineland was a gamble because Germany was not yet strong enough to
            resist Britain, France and other allies had they reacted militarily to uphold the Treaty of Versailles. If Hilter's gamble failed, senior German officers would have had a pretext for arresting him, and planned to do so. When the allies failed to react, Hitler was confident he could grab other German speaking countries without a fight.
            I'm confused. I thought the Ruhr was remilitarized along with the rest of the Rhineland.
            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
              I'm confused. I thought the Ruhr was remilitarized along with the rest of the Rhineland.
              AG, I am no expert in WWI or german history...I could have gotten some names mixed up. Eeither the Saar or the Ruhr was reincorported into German in 1933. All I know is the Rhineland was a demilitarized zone set up in western Germany by the Versailles treaty to act as a buffer between Germany and Belgium, France and the Netherlands. It was administered by a sucession of allied commissioners until 1930 when all foreign troops pulled out. It, however, was supposed to remain demilitarized. In 1936 Hitler sent "troops" into the zone to remilitarize it in violation of the treaty but on a hunch he could get away with it. Had he been confronted by French troops he would have been whipped badly and censured under the Treaty. The German high command was hoping the French would intervene so they could topple Hitler. The plan was to arrest him. Correct me on this: The nearby Ruhr had remained under German control all along except a large portion of its coal production was to fo to France to help pay down reparations due to France. Around 1924 the French, reacting to strikes by German coal miners, occupied the Ruhr at the cost of some 400 German lives. France ended its occupation soon after. The point is France could not have occupied what was already occupied by the allies. Therefore, I concluded the Ruhr was not part of the demilitarized zone. Historical license...you decide. :)
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Let's get on with it already !!! I've only got one right so far. Armchair...your turn. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Julie View Post
                  Let's get on with it already !!! I've only got one right so far. Armchair...your turn. :)
                  Being as how I've got inordinately massive amounts of homework that I've already procrastinated on to the point of disaster, I'm gonna give it to braindead, as he was pretty close to right. It was just a lucky guess on my part anyway.
                  Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 25 Oct 07,, 04:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                    Being as how I've got inordinately massive amounts of homework that I've already procrastinated on to the point of disaster, I'm gonna give it to braindead, as he was pretty close to right. It was just a lucky guess on my part anyway.
                    Very humble of you. :) It just seems with all those books you have floating around, you could open just one page and come up with one question.

Comment

• Thank you A.C.General !
                      well this is probably a simple one - in autumn of 1889 in one important Europ. capital the following happening took place : A circus troupe arrived to city and one of their acts was phenomenal sharpshooter . Last part of the show had the shooter call somebody from the public and from quite a distance shoot the ash from the ´somebodys´ burning cigar . The ´target´ was always one of the troupe , disguised as part of the public , but in this city , he was late . One man jumped to arena , lit a cigar and stood sideways to the shooter . Sharpshooter had hangover from previous evening and was very worried , but still performed the shot magnificently and shot the ash off the cigar .
                      25 years later the shooter wrote to the former ´target´ asked for a new opportunity . Of course there was no rematch .
                      Question - who was the target ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Julie View Post
                        Very humble of you. :) It just seems with all those books you have floating around, you could open just one page and come up with one question.
                        Yeah, I could ask about the allosteric control of the pentose phosphate pathway through glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, or perhaps the conditions required for the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium to remain constant, or even something about the momentum of the center of mass of an exploding artillery shell, but I figured that would be kind of out of place in a history thread. :P

Comment

• Originally posted by braindead View Post
                          Thank you A.C.General !
                          well this is probably a simple one - in autumn of 1889 in one important Europ. capital the following happening took place : A circus troupe arrived to city and one of their acts was phenomenal sharpshooter . Last part of the show had the shooter call somebody from the public and from quite a distance shoot the ash from the ´somebodys´ burning cigar . The ´target´ was always one of the troupe , disguised as part of the public , but in this city , he was late . One man jumped to arena , lit a cigar and stood sideways to the shooter . Sharpshooter had hangover from previous evening and was very worried , but still performed the shot magnificently and shot the ash off the cigar .
                          25 years later the shooter wrote to the former ´target´ asked for a new opportunity . Of course there was no rematch .
                          Just a wild arse guess: Archduke Franz Ferdinand?

Comment

• no.

Comment

• Originally posted by braindead View Post
                              Thank you A.C.General !
                              The young Kaiser Willhelm II
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                                The young Kaiser Willhelm II
                                Yes , shooter was Annie Oakley . in 1914 she wrote to Wilhelm II offering a rematch .

Your turn sir .

Comment

Working...
                                X