Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior German officers planned to arrest Hitler in 1938 if he failed in this major, illegal gamble. What was it? And why was it illegal?
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Austrian Anschluss
      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Originally posted by braindead View Post
        Austrian Anschluss
        no, that was later...

Comment

• on the forth of february Hitler unconstitutionanly creates the OKW and made himself Commander in Chief. While he was at it he also got rid of some officers and politicals who were in his way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
            on the forth of february Hitler unconstitutionanly creates the OKW and made himself Commander in Chief. While he was at it he also got rid of some officers and politicals who were in his way.
            That's not it, Tarek. The military high command didn't like that but they didn't plan to arrest him for it. Rather the question involves an action he took that involved movement of troops and was a gamble the high command thought would fail...

Comment

• mh but you said that the anschluss was after that and I dont remember any more events from january and february 38.

Comment

• Retaking Ruhr ? That canīt be right....

Comment

• Just a guess, but would it be moving troops into Rhineland?

edit: eh, braindead beat me to it.
                  I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

• that was 36

Comment

• Czechoslavakia was '38.

Comment

• yes but he said that the anschluss was later than the event he mentioned, and the treaty of munich is from september the anschluss was in march.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                          Just a guess, but would it be moving troops into Rhineland?

edit: eh, braindead beat me to it.
                          You're right. It was the Rhineland. The Ruhr was reincorporated in 1933. The Rhineland was a gamble because Germany was not yet strong enough to
                          resist Britain, France and other allies had they reacted militarily to uphold the Treaty of Versailles. If Hilter's gamble failed, senior German officers would have had a pretext for arresting him, and planned to do so. When the allies failed to react, Hitler was confident he could grab other German speaking countries without a fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                            You're right. It was the Rhineland. The Ruhr was reincorporated in 1933. The Rhineland was a gamble because Germany was not yet strong enough to
                            resist Britain, France and other allies had they reacted militarily to uphold the Treaty of Versailles. If Hilter's gamble failed, senior German officers would have had a pretext for arresting him, and planned to do so. When the allies failed to react, Hitler was confident he could grab other German speaking countries without a fight.
                            Did you not say in 38? the Rhineland was in 36.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                              Did you not say in 38? the Rhineland was in 36.

By gum, you are right,,,I did type 1938...couldn't have been '38...it was 1936.
                              My mistake

But the Ruhr reincorporation, your answer, was 1933.

Comment

• no it was mine

Comment

Working...
                                X