This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
    On the other hand, the first modern comsat proposal was from a Brit in the 1940s...???
    Close, but what's his name?:)
    Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

• Originally posted by wkllaw View Post
      Close, but what's his name?:)
      Blake? Clark?
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by wkllaw View Post
        He thought of a satellite, but not a telecommunications one.
        Arthur C. Clarke?
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
          Arthur C. Clarke?
          Correct, your question sir.
          Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

• This country has expanded its territory by over 3000 sq miles over the past few hundred years, but not by conquest.

Comment

• India ??

Comment

• Originally posted by Julie View Post
                India ??
                Way off. ;)

Comment

This country has expanded its territory by over 3000 sq miles over the past few hundred years, but not by conquest.
                  Canada?

Comment

• Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                    Canada?
                    No... let me rephrase.

This country has actively sought to expand its territory since medieval times. It has been quite successful, expanding by over 3000 sq mi over the past few hundred years. Though this country did engage in aggressive conquest at times, this particular territorial expansion was unaccompanied by conquest, at least in the literal sense.

When it has been invaded, it has often given up a portion of its territory, but not to the invaders.

Comment

No... let me rephrase.

This country has actively sought to expand its territory since medieval times. It has been quite successful, expanding by over 3000 sq mi over the past few hundred years. Though this country did engage in aggressive conquest at times, this particular territorial expansion was unaccompanied by conquest, at least in the literal sense.

When it has been invaded, it has often given up a portion of its territory, but not to the invaders.

Poland

Comment

Poland
                        No. This country is in Europe, and its territorial expansion was not into land that had any prior claim, and wasn't a result of voluntary cession or dynastic union. When it was invaded, it gave up territory for the sole purpose of denying the invader territory.

Comment

• Russia ??

Comment

No. This country is in Europe, and its territorial expansion was not into land that had any prior claim, and wasn't a result of voluntary cession or dynastic union. When it was invaded, it gave up territory for the sole purpose of denying the invader territory.
                            Holland ---3 letters off

Comment

• I would say holland (netherlands) too, but on the other side they lost about 50% of their land after the united netherlands splitted up into the benelux states. So even with their landwinning from the sea they have much less than with what they started with.

Comment

Holland ---3 letters off
                                Your turn.
                                I would say holland (netherlands) too, but on the other side they lost about 50% of their land after the united netherlands splitted up into the benelux states. So even with their landwinning from the sea they have much less than with what they started with.
                                The land within the Netherland's current borders has expanded 3200 miles by land reclamation from the sea. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X