Question/complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question/complaint

I hope not to make a habit of complaining. I've never had a need to yet, and hopefully won't need to again.

My question is asking why my "Religion of Peace?" thread was closed. I believe that Parihaka closed it on the basis that it was defamatory toward religion (Islam in particular). What I posted was not personal ranting against Islam, it was posting facts; and using it as a basis against Bush's second "religion of peace" statement. I've seen threads on here that defame all individual Abrahamic religions by calling them the same thing, and saying the worshipers worship the same god. Though not insulting to Muslims (the Qu'ran teaches that), it's insulting to Christians, and really insulting to Jews. So, basically my complaint is that I question the neutrality of closing my thread. In the end I was posting facts that did indeed shed a bad light on Islam, but they were facts that did so. I did not advocate genocide, or anything of the sort. I stated facts. Is it the facts that we have an aversion to here? Or are they facts that defame Islam in particular that we have an aversion to?

If anyone can civilly convince me that I'm mistaken, I'll drop and forget the whole thing.
    Last edited by ExNavyAmerican; 08 Oct 07,, 09:52.
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
    - Thomas Jefferson

It was closed because it doesn't serve any purpose to argue over religion -- everybody is entitled to their own religious beliefs, they are free to state what they are, and so on. Enlightened discussions aren't generally found in religious debates -- rather you see bashing, name-calling, people getting ticked off, etc., and when that happens the board is portrayed in a poor light. I don't believe Mohammed was a prophet and I don't believe in Islam, but at the same time I don't feel the need to try and convince everybody else of the same.

Wasn't it Jefferson who said he didn't care if his neighbor worshiped one god or twenty, so long as he was a good neighbor? I'm more concerned if my neighbor is good or not. To each his own.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Firstly my appologies for not pm'ing you about my closing the thread ExNavyAmerican, I should have let you know personally.
      I'd just add to Irondukes comments that we have had many such threads criticising a specific religion in the past and all it has done is lead to flame wars about the ills of Islam, Christianity and Judaism along the lines of 'well Islam did/does this" "well christianity did/does this" et cetera et cetera.
      Worse, it drives off members of good standing who see their faith trashed for no good reason.
      We bend the rules to allow generalised religious discussion because it is important to so many members, but threads dedicated to denigrating a specific religion are expressly forbidden in the forum rules.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Ironduke. Parihaka;

Thanks for responding. I understand. Religious discussions will be on the "no-no" list.

Parihaka

No problem, I was taken aback. Wondering for what possible reason it'd been closed. I understand now.
        "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
        - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Question: Is anybody out there having problems posting pics these days?
          It seems to move rather sluggish if at all.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
            Question: Is anybody out there having problems posting pics these days?
            It seems to move rather sluggish if at all.
            Yes. For one thing, I have a bit of trouble controlling the size. I'll use my Adobe PS to reduce the width down to 5 inches or less but sometimes the pick will come out so large that you have to scroll over to see the right hand side.

Most of the time I cannot post more than one picture at a time. If I try, they are grouped together in links that the reader has to click on individually. So I often wind up just putting in a series of posts with one pic each.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
              Yes. For one thing, I have a bit of trouble controlling the size. I'll use my Adobe PS to reduce the width down to 5 inches or less but sometimes the pick will come out so large that you have to scroll over to see the right hand side.

Most of the time I cannot post more than one picture at a time. If I try, they are grouped together in links that the reader has to click on individually. So I often wind up just putting in a series of posts with one pic each.
              I'll see what I can do about that.

Comment

Should be fixed now.

Comment

Iron' fantastic pic's. Are the middle two the ships RustyB serve on?:))

Comment

No, the middle two are the ships he performed work on in the dockyard. You know, swabbing the cannon after a battle, putting pitch between the planks to seal up leaks, patching holes in the sails. ;)

Comment

Great pictures.
                      - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        No, the middle two are the ships he performed work on in the dockyard. You know, swabbing the cannon after a battle, putting pitch between the planks to seal up leaks, patching holes in the sails. ;)
                        Darn! Can't keep any secrets around here.
                        Anyway, I'm going to test the pics now to see if your fix does it.

Comment

Sorry. Hit the wrong button.

My wife took that picture of cloud-covered Half Dome herself.
                          My daughter took a picture of me on her Skegway just before I broke the fingers in my left hand.
                          The drawing is one of those I've done with Corel Draw for ship museums.

Comment

rustyB, do I deduce that your were at a BBQ or do you always have a fork in your top pocket:)

Comment

Damn fine garden you've got there Rusty.
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X