Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR,

Thanks!

Do you know which of those units (if any) were to redeploy to Pacific/SEAsia? I just checked wiki entry on British 6th AB Div (I had not known of their existence actually, a bit shadowed by British 1st AB perhaps in a good way ;)), and came to know that they deployed 1 brigade to SE Asia, with plans to deploy the entire 6th AB Division. The Brits also planned to move forward another newly raised Airborne Division, 44th Indian AB, to participate in Op. Olympic.

6th Airborne Division (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    44th Airborne Division (India) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
      AR,

Thanks!

Do you know which of those units (if any) were to redeploy to Pacific/SEAsia?
      101 ABN & 17 ABN I believe were selected, en route.

I believe the 82 ABN folks were pretty high in points so were cycling back to the US to backfill with 13 ABN and others.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

According to Wikipedia, this is the ORBAT for Olympic

U.S. Sixth Army (Gen. Walter Krueger)
        40th Inf. Div. (Brig. Gen. Donald Myers) (22,000 men)
        158th Inf. RCT (Brig. Gen. Hanford MacNider) (7,600 men)

U.S. I Corps (Maj. Gen. Innis P. Smith) (95,000 men): 25th Inf. Div., 33rd Inf. Div., 41st Inf. Div.

U.S. XI Corps (Maj. Gen. Charles P. Hall) (113,000 men): 1st Cav. Div., 43rd Inf. Div., Americal Div., 112th Cav. Reg.

U.S. V Amphib Corps (Maj. Gen. Harry Schmidt) (99,000 men):
        2nd Marine Div., 3rd Marine Div., 5th Marine Div.

6th Army reserves:
        U.S. IX Corps (Maj. Gen. Charles W. Ryder) (79,000 men):
        77th Inf. Div. 81st Inf. Div., 98th Inf. Div.;
        11th Abn. Div. (Maj. Gen. Joseph M. Swing) (15,000 men)

ORBAT for Coronet:

U.S. First Army (Gen. Courtney H. Hodges):

U.S. III Amphibious Corps: 1st Marine Div., 4th Marine Div., 6th Marine Div.
        U.S. XXIV Corps: 7th Inf. Div., 27th Inf. Div., 96th Inf. Div.,
        Follow-on corps: 5th Inf. Div., 44th Inf. Div., 86th Inf. Div.

U.S. Eighth Army (Lt. Gen. Robert L. Eichelberger):

U.S. X Corps: 24th Inf. Div., 31st Inf. Div., 37th Inf. Div.
        U.S. XIII Corps: 13th Arm. Div., 20th Arm. Div.
        U.S. XIV Corps: 6th Inf. Div., 32nd Inf. Div., 38th Inf. Div.
        Follow-on corps: 4th Inf. Div., 8th Inf. Div., 87th Inf. Div.

Army Forces Pacific Reserve: 97th Inf. Div.
        Follow-on corps: 2nd Inf. Div., 28th Inf. Div., 35th Inf. Div.
        Follow-on corps: 91st Inf. Div., 95th Inf. Div., 104th Inf. Div. 11th Abn. Div.

British Commonwealth
        Commonwealth Corps*, (Lt. Gen. Charles Keightley):
        UK 3rd Inf. Div., Canadian 6th Inf. Div., Australian 10th Div.

*The corps was to have included, as its initial components, the British 3rd Infantry Division, and two new divisions being formed for the purpose of the invasion: the Australian 10th Division and the Canadian 6th Division. It was to have been led by the British Lt. Gen. Sir Charles Keightley. However, it was highly unlikely that the Australian government would have concurred in the appointment of a commander who had no experience fighting the Japanese.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I have seen P/H for sale on ebay , am i correct that they are not worth much if they have not been presented and named to a soldier ??? , as the one i saw was very cheap , or maybe a scam ???

Comment

Often wondered if Gen MacArthur would have been one of those casualties; would the Truman-MacArthur show down have happened six years or so earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironbar View Post
              Often wondered if Gen MacArthur would have been one of those casualties; would the Truman-MacArthur show down have happened six years or so earlier?
              Given MacArthur's rather suicidal habit of surveying the battlefield from the front lines (and occasionally beyond), it's very likely that his luck could have run out during Downfall.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
              X